Community discussions

MikroTik App

invisiblenet
just joined
Topic Author

Graphing

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:52 am

I have been using Mikrotik OS for almost a year now. I have set up the simple queue graphs and they have been working fine for sometime. I have used the graphs to check the performance of our customers on a daily basis. They used to go off only when we reboot the OS. I made changes to the system to change over to a higher bandwidth at 7mp and goes back to normal bandwidth at 7am. During this time the graphs disappear and start afresh. Is there a way we can make these graphs permanent so that I dont have to worry about checking the performance of customers at night?

Please help.

Hotgossip

jcremin

Re: Graphing

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:41 am

I notice that quite often my interface graphs all disappear. Could be a version upgrade or as simple as just rebooting. Either way, it's quite annoying, but the only real answer I've been given is to use an external SNMP polling system to graph it, like MRTG or something. Not quite what I would think is ideal, but it seems to be the only solution if you want long term data.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:47 pm

Yes, one of the way is to use remote SNMP collector.
If you do not want to use remote tools,
- you have to be sure that router is running correct configuration for time (it is not reseted), so NTP client is required on the router;
- there should be option save-on-disk=yes.

If you are to find anyway how to reset logs in that case (for static queues), let us know about that.

jcremin

Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:47 pm

I do have NTP client setup and "save to disk" is enabled. I still find that quite often just rebooting the router will lose all the graphs.

I have a hunch that maybe after rebooting it takes some time for NTP to sync up and in the meantime, it does a "Write" for the graphs and screws it up.

invisiblenet
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:15 am

Hi Guys,

Sorry for not responding in time. It was difficult to access my account I dont know why. Thank you for your replies. I have been advised to use MRTG but our graphs are dynamic and for the change over to happen all the queues have to be reset and this is the time when the Mikrotik graphs also reset and looses all the graphic details. Is it the same with MRTG or does it show graphs constantly even if the queues are reset.

Regards

Yusuf

alex_rhys-hurn

Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:11 pm

Hi Yusuf,

The graphing issue.....

The problem with graphing dynamic queues (hotspot sessions) with MRTG or CACTI or Dude or any other snmp based graphig tool is this:

Each time the customer logs on a session is created. Say session number 1. When the user logs off, this session is closed. Next time the user logs on they will then get a different session I.D. Say session 465.

So, if we tell MRTG to graph session 1, then the user logs off and back on with session 465, you now have an empty graph on the session 1 and nnow have to make a new graph for session 465.

There are APPARENTLY ways of doing this. Does anybody on this forum know how? Yusuf and I would love to know.

Rgds

Alex

analog

Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:21 am

I do have NTP client setup and "save to disk" is enabled. I still find that quite often just rebooting the router will lose all the graphs.

I have a hunch that maybe after rebooting it takes some time for NTP to sync up and in the meantime, it does a "Write" for the graphs and screws it up.
I think you are right. I'm experiencing this problem too. If I check the graphs right after a reboot, they are erased, and the "last update time" is Dec 1969. So, what is happening is the graph is being generated before NTP has a chance to set the clock. The 1969 date doesn't mesh correctly with the existing on disk data and the graph get's erased.

Any way we can get this fixed? It would seem perhaps a delay of 30 seconds or so before the graph is generated after a reboot would be enough time to allow NTP to set the clock correctly.

jcremin

Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:00 am

Hello MT? Do you care? No response and I'm not aware of it being fixed in a more recent update.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:58 am

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:48 am

As Chupaka said, if you have any issues to report to support, write them to support@mikrotik.com

gmidia
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:01 pm

save to disk and have all clients on static IP's and bind the mac addresses to the ips's that will help, i have been graphing my external interface for over six months with the rampant power outages in my area without a problem and i also graphs usage of other hotspots with out an issue just bind ip's have ips on static have the OS on NTP client and as said earlier have an external graphing tool could help you too
George Midia
Midia Data links

sjwrick
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:39 am

I too am having no problem with static ips and graphing.

In my situation we wanted to charge for high usage so we set up a second MTbox with a bridge, Then I have unlimited queues setup for each customer IP. (the real BW limits are on the the gateway router) Graphing works very well. I have the data saved each night by the scheduler as it looks like the running totals are reset by a power reset. At the end of the month I plop the data in a spreadsheet and hand it to accounting.

The only issue is making sure queues get setup as new customers come into the system.

Rick

ayufan

Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:25 am

The best way is to use ip accounting and gather data on external machine which can than insert that data to mysql database or make rrdgraphs. It works well for me.

KT