Community discussions

MikroTik App

jkdrouter
just joined
Topic Author

routerboard 44g

Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:31 pm

Hello,
this is not really RouterOS related, but it RouterBOARD 44G related. If i am at the wrong place, please point me to the right direction.

I have 3 quad port RouterBOARD 44G NIC's, all 12 ports are connected to the real Cisco switches. After lots of troubelshooting, i boiled it down to vlan tagging issue. In a sense that 802.1q tagging si not working as it should. And this is only on trunk (tagging) ports. For example hosts attached to switch belonging to same vlan comunicate without problems, but if traffic needs to go to so called router on a stick, inter vlan communication becomes imposible.
This is in both windows and linux ubuntu. Are there any special options i am not seeing?

Again, sorry if this is wrong forum, point me int the right direction.

jkdrouter
just joined
Topic Author

Re: routerboard 44g

Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:33 am

After lots of troubleshooting, i found the problem, but not the solution.

It seems that RouterBoard 44g has problem forming trunk (tagging) link between a virtual router and a real switch. That is, it can carry one VLAN (for example router beloning to one VLAN on switch), but as soon as router forms 802.1q trunkm it fails. In that case the only traffic that is carried is untagged native vlan (VLAN ID can be any number).

Don't know if anyone cares, i just figured might as well post it.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:14 am

Do you have the G or the GV model? The G model is not being made anymore, but I think the problem is isolated to the chip that's used there.

jkdrouter
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:11 pm

Its 44G. Well, damn. I have 3 of those. So its hardware baesd issue? Can you provide a link where i can read about the issue?
Thanks