Community discussions

MikroTik App

ekkas
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

RB133C and ROS 4

Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:13 pm

I've upgraded one of about 40 RB133C's still at clients and it is rebooting when under load, e.g. running torch, loading traffic logs via http and then logging into the API.
Even just torch from winbox cause it to reboot. I've uninstalled all packages but advanced, dhcp, routerboard, system, security, wireless. ROS 4.3 FW2.18

I'm not sure if it rebooted before the upgrade, but should I swop the (faulty?) board, or is ROS4 simply to much to ask from my old beloved RB133's?

Anyone else loaded ROS 4.3 under a 'fully utilised' RB133C with success/failures?

Thanks

Ekkas

xapmat
just joined

Re: RB133C and ROS 4

Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:26 pm

I have tried 4.3 on a 133 and 133C (and a 112). None of them can handle v4 very well. Just sitting there idle eats up resources. I downgraded them to 3.3 and have not had any issues. It's like trying to run Vista on that old pentium 233.

ekkas
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:12 pm

Thanks for that. A pity though...

QpoX

Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:18 am

I run ROS 4.3 on all of my RB133. Works better than ROS 3.x

BobcatGuy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:19 pm

I have run 4.3 on a RB 112 with an XR 5 card in it, and no problems, it has minor traffic on it, but bandwidth tests will do 11 Mps and not reboot for 15 minute test.
I run 4.3 on a 532A with no problems.
I run 4.3 on a RB 333 where the dissassociation of wireless clients has stopped at some time when upgrading to 4.x BUT I get a system restarted due to kernle failure, Or possibly power outage, does this about 2 - 3 times in 24 hr period. It is at my brothers house, and I asked him if he ever unplugs the power, he says no.
I run 4.3 on a RB 153, upgraded fine, rebooted and worked fine for 1 week, manually rebooted and now the board is not accessible via winbox on ethers 1- 5, nor a wireless scan from the AP it connected to before shows up with any MAC address of the wireless card on the 153.

Mixed results.

Funny I have 3 other boards sitting in my office that need a new home.. No one thinks I'm seriose about the free internet thing.... I jsut say, pay for the hardware, and you can have free internet, people that I know to us emy network, but they think it is " dishonest" Personally I was told by my ISP that I can share my internet connection, but I'm not even sharing it, My netowrk just happens to be BIG, and I happen to use a media pc ( With tuners) for a couple media extenders over that wireless.. Oh Its fun to piss off the local cable company.. and they cant even do anything about it..

Now to figure out how to get rid of one city block of trees so I can establish a link to my other brothers house..... poison, or chainsaw? hmmm...

BobcatGuy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:03 am

Update:

Regarding the RB 153 that was running 4.3 for a week then rebooted, but never came back online.. well.. its been awhile, but I was getting mad at this becuase I couldn't get to it becuase of snow on the roof, so what I did, which probably isn't the best for the board was to plug and unplug the power to the thing about 20 times in a row... Oddly enough it revived itself and is now up and working. I upgraded to 4.4 right away just in case it was a 4.3 issue. Hotspot was installed on it too, dont know when that happened but I removed it to make more memory.

Guess I can take down the nanostation I had connecting to the neighbors wireless... :-) shhhhh.. it was temporary. Well, now I think I am going to use it for a autofailover :-)

Have no clue why this worked out like this, but it did. One factor MIGHT be the temprature, at the time it stopped it was about -20c. now it is +5c Yep, we do get + tempratures in the middle of the winter in Canada. All the other boards are up and running in enclosures on roofs, so I do not think the temp had anything to do with it. Condensation? who knows