Community discussions

MikroTik App

TheCowStir
just joined
Topic Author

Centralized NTP issue

Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:18 pm

I have the core mikrotik device in our network setup as an NTP server. I use this device to point all other network devices to for NTP time, however I have found that it is not working correctly.

I have a bridge interface setup on all of my devices that has no ports assigned to it, just an IP address which I use for management, that way if any one interface goes down I do not loose my management address as long as there is still some connectivity to the network. This works great for configuring, and I thought it worked great for NTP and SNMP also, however I noticed with my first RB750 that I installed stated that the address did not match the request. (I by default install the NTP package and never noticed the NTP client as provided on the RB750 that gives the detailed NTP status) It looks like the NTP server uses the IP address on the outbound port to respond to any NTP requests instead of using the same address that the request came in on. On the server (core dev) I am only using it as a unicast NTP server, broadcast, multicast and manycast are not enabled. I could direct the NTP requests to the outbound interface IP address, but that will stop working if that interface goes down (thus the attempt to use a loopback IP address)

Is there a way to set the IP address that NTP uses (source-interface) without having to create a mangle?

Core device is a RB493AH running v4.2

Thanks for any insight.

Todd

TheCowStir
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Centralized NTP issue

Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:32 am

I just upgraded all Mikrotik devices to RouterOS 4.4 and the issue looks to be resolved.

TheCowStir
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:36 am

Just upgraded to v4.8 and again the NTP clients are stating "server-ip-mismatch" if I try to use my loopback ip address as the NTP server address.

bax
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Im also see that in some verz. ntp client workin normaly , in some v. not working :D

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:18 pm

yep, seems the ntp server and snmp service never use the same IP you queried them on. It sure would be nice if you could set the ip those services ran on. I could never get it to work with mangle / nat even. finally just gave up on ntp with mikrotik.