MikroTik App

sathishsa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Gateway ICMp request help

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:26 pm

Hi,

Iam sathish, first of all i really appriciate the help of the professional who serves great

here is my request iam running hotspot server with static IP's , for MAC binging with a specific Ip iam using ARp reply only option

but iam very sad tht while iam going for new clent installation I want to ping the gateway i.e: mikrotik , But as per my knowledge i cant ping the mikrotik until i enter the Static ARp entry of the specfic PC

i need to allow any mac can ping my mikrotik box should be possible and with full pipe no restriction

Please help me is there any other way to workout this i need the strict staic Ip & MAC binding
Thanks,
S.kumar

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Gateway ICMp request help

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:51 pm

Set the interface ARP mode to 'enabled' for the time when you're installing a new client. Once you're done you make a static entry and switch it back to 'reply-only'.

The router cannot send traffic to the client if the ARP mode of the interface the client is behind is in 'reply-only' mode and there is no static entry yet. You cannot work around that fact.

sathishsa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:06 pm

ok, thanks for your answer
coming from other way, if it will not work in tht way like

is there any other way to bing the static ip to particular MAC address other than ARp-reply only mode ?

Thanks,
Sathish

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:13 pm

Entering a static ARP entry statically and manually binds an IP address to a MAC address. I was under the assumption that you're using reply-only mode to prevent the router from dynamically learning additional entries in order to prevent unauthorized clients from utilizing the router.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:53 pm

in addition to 'arp-mode=reply-only' you may use DHCP server with 'Add ARP for Leases' ticked - it will automatically add dynamic ARP entries for your users which receive addresses via DHCP