Community discussions

MikroTik App

ekkas
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Browsing problem, only some websites (not MTU?)

Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:34 am

After days of reading, trying different things, I'm out of things to try.

To make a long story short, I have 2 ADSL lines, 1 static IP and another pppeo-client one.

If I link a laptop directly to the routers, all sites work no problem.
If I link the laptop through 2 RBs (only masquerade out to Internet) and setup only one connection as gateway then some sites does not work or is very unreliable, but if I setup the pppoe-client as gateway, then all works fine. I removed all filter and mangle rules but same problem.

I thought it migtht be MTU/MSS so tested the static to give max MTU of 1454 (which I changed in config) and added mangle change-mss rule to 1414 (MTU-40). But the laptop connected directly had a MTU of 1500, so I don't think it's that.

Then I thought it's maybe TTL as there are over 30 hops from where I am, so added a change-ttl rule to make it 250 or 0, no difference.

www.cnn.com sometimes give problems, but www.itv-f1.com is very consistent in giving problems. www.itv-f1.com just wouldn't work through the MT but directly connected it's just fine, orif I use the pppoe-client connection, then all is fine.

Any advice here? I'm out of ideas.

Ekkas

bajataz
just joined

Re: Browsing problem, only some websites (not MTU?)

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:41 pm

I had the same problem and it turned out to be my DNS was not correct.

This may not be your case, bt it was mine