Community discussions

MikroTik App

collinsit
just joined
Topic Author

Firewall Configuration

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi there, I just got a RB750G router. The router is setup with two PPPoE DSL connections. I got that working and got the connections bonded together which seems to be working fine. I don't want to actually use the firewall on the router since it is in front of a Cisco firewall that I want to use for security. The problem is, if I don't run the firewall people can remotely telnet or SSH into it which I don't want. I would like to have the box run basically as a modem but not allow anyone to access it remotely.

I still need to be able to access it internally though to be able to configure it and monitor it. I tested enabling the firewall and it completely locked me out of the router and I had to reset its configuration. Unfortunately this box doesn't have a console port in it so I don't have a way to get into the box other than SSH or Telnet. What I am basically wondering is, is there a way to configure the firewall on this device so that SSH/HTTP/Telnet access to the actual device is restricted to certain IP addresses?

Thanks

netrat

Re: Firewall Configuration

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:30 pm

Check the wiki, but here's a quick rundown.
/ip firewall filter
add action=accept chain=input comment="" connection-state=established \
    disabled=no in-interface=WAN
add action=accept chain=input comment="" connection-state=related disabled=no \
    in-interface=WAN
add action=drop chain=input comment="" disabled=no in-interface=WAN

collinsit
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Thank you for the reply and the information. Since I have multiple WAN interfaces should this be assigned to the PPPoE dialer interface or directly to the physical interfaces? If I do have to assign this to the physical interfaces, do I have to apply it to all the physical interfaces?

Also, will this only block direct access to the router but still allow all traffic to pass through it? I just want to restrict management access if possible.

netrat

Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:18 pm

You'll assign it to the PPPoE interface. Yes traffic will still be forwarded through the links, now do some reading!

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Category:Firewall
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Firewall