Community discussions

MikroTik App

synologic
Topic Author

Multicast, Bridge & Mikrotik

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi,

we have a client that requires distributing some multicast streams over to aproximately 40 sites countrywide.

For this, i have connected their multicast source to an x86 machine running mt 4.5, via an EoIP tunnel, and did the same for their remote routers, that run on RB750 (various versions).
At this time, there are 16 remote sites connected + their router that pushes the multicast.

All of the EoIP tunnels are bridged so that the multicast goes out on all their interfaces.
Since we added 6 more sites, the router that does the bridging, crashes unexpectedly at uneven intervals, with nothing in the logs that should indicate why the router crashes.

It has been tested and found that if we disable all eoip tunnels, the router is not crashing anymore so i strongly belive this is the cause for the crash.

Now, before i start testing PIM-SSM, i need to know if anybody has encountered a similar problem, either related to EoIP or Multicast on Mikrotik. I would hate to reconfigure the devices and find that the problem lies in the Multicast handling in Mikrotik.

Thanks

netrat

Re: Multicast, Bridge & Mikrotik

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:25 pm

Did you send the supout to Mikrotik support?

synologic
Topic Author

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:54 pm

I did, still waiting for reply, but i thought to post here too, as this is quite a problem for me, to have a box unexpectedly reboot a couple of times a day :)

w0lt
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Do you need the EoIP tunnels? Since you are doing bridging, wouldn't BCP work? Not sure this would help you, but just a thought.

-tp

synologic
Topic Author

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:17 am

i will try with bcp and see what happens

just joined

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi Synologic,

Have you found a solution, because we also have routers (2 X PowerRouters) that that keep rebooting without any reason (Mikrotik & PowerRouter have been sent a lot of suppport files - without any success) regardin PIM and has been going on for many weeks now?