Community discussions

MikroTik App

Alborg
just joined
Topic Author

Which management system for Wi-Fi hotspots?

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:03 pm

Hi,

I'm looking into setting up multiple hotspots using multiple AP's and DSL connections over an island. I have figured out what equipment I will use (Mikrotik router, Ubiquity Bullet or Rocket with sector antenna's) but not sure which management system to use for billing and authentication.

Can anyone offer any advice/experience on the various management systems eg. RouterOS, Wireless Orbit, Sputnik, WifiGator etc.

I posted this same post on a WISP forum and someone suggested Mikrotik have an all in one solution in RouterOS for Billing, Authentication etc. I initially looked at Mikrotik above anything else but my understanding was even if you have RouterOS you still need to setup the backend eg. host a radius server and MYSQL database locally or get someone to host this for you. Is this correct or will routerOS do it all?

I do not have the technical knowledge to setup and support a backend system so I'd rather have an all in one solution.

Any advice apprecaited,

Thanks.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Which management system for Wi-Fi hotspots?

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:38 pm

UserManager is good. Wireless Orbit is a modified version of UserManager as far as I can tell. I use FreeRADIUS/MySQL and a custom php front end to do the purchase and account activation functions. It really depends on how much work you are willing to do versus how much you want to spend.

Alborg
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:13 pm

UserManager is good. Wireless Orbit is a modified version of UserManager as far as I can tell. I use FreeRADIUS/MySQL and a custom php front end to do the purchase and account activation functions. It really depends on how much work you are willing to do versus how much you want to spend.

But where do you host your Radius/MySQL servers? Do you set them up, configure and support them yourself or does someone else manage that?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:23 pm

I don't see any resemblence to usermanager http://wiki.wirelessorbit.com/wiki/inde ... center.gif

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi normis. Last year when I looked at it, they had just done an upgrade. Same time UserManager had changed versions. To me, it looked and felt just like the new UserManager. The old version looked just like the old version of UserManager, but I did not have time to use it because of the upgrade. Maybe I am wrong.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:52 pm

are you saying that this system installs onto RouterOS as a NPK package, just like the UM ?

Alborg
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:53 pm

Hi,

I'm looking into setting up multiple hotspots using multiple AP's and DSL connections over an island. I have figured out what equipment I will use (Mikrotik router, Ubiquity Bullet or Rocket with sector antenna's) but not sure which management system to use for billing and authentication.

Can anyone offer any advice/experience on the various management systems eg. RouterOS, Wireless Orbit, Sputnik, WifiGator etc.

I posted this same post on a WISP forum and someone suggested Mikrotik have an all in one solution in RouterOS for Billing, Authentication etc. I initially looked at Mikrotik above anything else but my understanding was even if you have RouterOS you still need to setup the backend eg. host a radius server and MYSQL database locally or get someone to host this for you. Is this correct or will routerOS do it all?

I do not have the technical knowledge to setup and support a backend system so I'd rather have an all in one solution.

Any advice apprecaited,

Thanks.
Can anyone answer my question please?

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:56 pm

@normis: No, I mean when you go the "real" html control pages (not that picture) at Wireless Orbit, they look and feel just like UserManager. One of my customers uses this, so I was required to set it up for him. Almost the same layout. Had the same inputs. Asked the same questions in the same order. May a coincidence?

@Alborg: Maybe Wireless Orbit or a service with tech support would be best. I am not recommending one over the other.
Last edited by SurferTim on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:58 pm

imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

can anyone help the OP?

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:00 pm

imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

can anyone help the OP?
Just did help, as well as I can. Edited previous post.
BTW, that is exactly what I thought. If it is not UserManager, they sure went to a lot of trouble to look and feel like that!

And to help even more, I just talked to my customer, and he really likes Wireless Orbit and recommends them highly. Good tech support for a novice.