MikroTik App

peterdcox
just joined
Topic Author

Route disappears for a second or two

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:20 am

So simple but so frustrating!!

Hardware: RB1000, firmware V4.5

The current configuration is very basic, so basic it cannot possibly be a problem but everything is pointing to routing?

Ethernet 1 - UnTagged switch connection subnet 192.168.102.0/24
Ethernet 2 - UnTagged switch connection subnet 172.17.191.0/24
Ethernet 3 - UnTagged switch connection subnet 192.168.100.0/24

Most routing is dynamic. There is a default route defined - 172.17.191.254 - and there are 2 static routes defined pointing to remote networks connected via a Cisco Router on the Ethernet 3 subnet.

Problem:
Routing to/from the Eth2 subnet stops for anything from sub second to a few (<5) seconds. That is neither Eth1 not Eth3 can contact any host on the Eth2 subnet.

A host on Eth2 subnet looses contact with hosts on Eth1 and Eth3 at exactly the same time. This host does not loose contact with hosts on its own subnet - 172.17.191.0 at any time which seems to eliminate the possibility of a physical or switch problem on the Eth2 subnet.

A host on Eth2 does not loose contact with the Mikrotik router port on its subnet, although the only anomaly I have seen thus far is something I have never seen before - when the routing is working the ping response from the Mikrotik port - 172.17.191.253 - reports a TTL=64, but as soon as the routing problem occurs this ping response succeeds but the TTL is now 255 ??

The time between routing outage does vary between 6 and 18 minutes, but is predominantly 9 minutes. Again curious.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

peterdcox
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Route disappears for a second or two

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:13 am

OK this truned out to be REALLY simple - duplicate IP on the subnet connected to Eht2!

:D

dallas
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Route disappears for a second or two

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:26 pm

I dont have duplicate ip. I ended of removing all the rb1000s in my network and my friends. The ethernet connection would go down then up really fast. Removing all the routes. So we built our own routers with the same configuration and we have been working fine ever since. There is a ethernet issue. Mikrotik please attend this. I had this problem for a long time and finally found it to be that. I am glad its gone but lost out on the money we spent. Anyone want to buy 3 rb1000s? Is anyone else having issues. In order to find this problem. I had a use a script to monitor ethernet changes. Thus finding out that the ethernet was dropping causing all my issues.