Community discussions

MikroTik App

congo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: RouterOS v4.7 released

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:07 pm

This SFQ bug is veeery interesting. Could be the cause of our several months torture with our office access point. I hope v4.8 will be out soon.

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:20 pm

You could try 3.30 pal.

rodneal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:52 pm

Still the best system around - hell even Motorola has a buggy mesh and that's been a problem for 2 years - of course there are work a rounds to that too but it is still there.

MT rocks and is still the best out there for my money!

As long as I keep every known version on archive and the strengths and weaknesses on file then I know what to use. Used to have the same problem with Cisco until I dumped every router in our network to go to Siemens GUI driven Systems. Had problems there too but had direct line to their R&D and could talk to them 24/7. This would be the only problem that I would have with MT but being that I have all the Previous versions - I'm not stuck and downgrade is simple and easy.

Right now v3.30 is the most stable except for 900mhz and that is v3.28. Have no clue why but it works.

Good luck,
Rod

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:21 pm

Still the best system around - hell even Motorola has a buggy mesh and that's been a problem for 2 years - of course there are work a rounds to that too but it is still there.

MT rocks and is still the best out there for my money!

As long as I keep every known version on archive and the strengths and weaknesses on file then I know what to use. Used to have the same problem with Cisco until I dumped every router in our network to go to Siemens GUI driven Systems. Had problems there too but had direct line to their R&D and could talk to them 24/7. This would be the only problem that I would have with MT but being that I have all the Previous versions - I'm not stuck and downgrade is simple and easy.

Right now v3.30 is the most stable except for 900mhz and that is v3.28. Have no clue why but it works.

Good luck,
Rod
Full ack. With MT I get a lot for my money. But as a typical user I want to get more :D
We use 3.30 on all Backbone systems. This works perfect.
But as I want to move to 11n I cant stay with 3.30. Actually we decided to use R52n in all
new clients. These run normal 11a at the moment until APs are upgraded. We dont want
to install clients which we have to upgrade soon.

void
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:22 pm

did you not see that we took off the v4.7 download as soon as we discovered a minor known bug? we don't have any other known bugs, except those that are reported after version build.
Normis, that's exactly what I'm trying to explain. If you are going to take every release off-line due to a minor bug you will never release a new version again I guess ;)

If you would communicate more clearly under which circumstances the problem occurs the end users (we) can decide if this problem affects our network and if we think upgrading is appropriate or not.

The fact that there is a bug in DHCP and the changelog doesn't mention anything about DHCP only indicates your are not honest about the changes made.

Don't get me wrong, I like ROS/RB a lot (just ordered some more today :) ) but I would like to see some more open comunication around bugs etc.

congo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:57 am

You could try 3.30 pal.
I also agree on v3.30 being the best (real) stable version (we have some routers still on 3.19 which was our former standard), but in this particular case we want to use 11n :)

I had some serious headaches because of this RB411AH/4.x/R52n office AP not working properly and now I'm hoping for the best... Testing starts on the day v4.8 is available!

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 am

I put 10 $ on - it will not be any better. :)

congo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:12 am

Oh, and why do you think so? :D

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:19 am

Just a general logic from following tendencies. And maybe a bit intuition :)

marsark
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:39 am

NO, IPv6 RA bug has been not fixed in ROS 4.7 yet. More can be found here http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38166

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:20 am

There's another problem with taking down v4.7.

If you noticed, a lot of features went into 4.7. This means, way more potential for things to break, and maybe harder to find the fix.

Now that v4.8 is on it's way, with very few people testing 4.7 (because it was taken down), there's going to be even more changes. This leaves the potential for bugs very high, which means fixes in 4.7 may be bugs in 4.8.

Just my thoughts. I really hope upgrade to 4.8 is flawless.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:38 am

can anyone try if the PPC package still is broken if you download it from download.mikrotik.com? we turned off DNS based load balancing and it seems to have helped most users. The packages were fine, but maybe the download programs got confused :?

Muzaki
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:04 pm

ether1 stops working after about 30sek with 4.7 on RB433 , RB 532 and RB 133.

OK after enable / disable or phisical unplug / replug :?

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Having massive problems with hotspot and DNS on 4.7... DNS server stops responding after a while for no apparent reason, DNS client works fine.

No response from MT support as yet.

Downgrading to 4.6.. will see.

I agree 3.30 is the best version so far, but I'm running 750G so cannot downgrade that far, and MT is stubborn enough not to put 3.31 (the one supplied with the 750) on their website and insist users must upgrade to 4.x, despite all the bugs.

rodneal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:44 pm

REEAAALLLLYYY! v3.31 not listed is interesting. Didn't know there was was such a critter.

congo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:58 pm

It seems versions created only for support of a given platform only come with the hardware.

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:06 pm

Having massive problems with hotspot and DNS on 4.7... DNS server stops responding after a while for no apparent reason, DNS client works fine.

No response from MT support as yet.

Downgrading to 4.6.. will see.
I noticed this also after doing some traffic analysis.

Hotspot users just drop off (still active, no idle or session timeout). When I enable, disable the hotspot interface, it was fine again for some time. What I found was that the client could still get to HTTP using IP address of web sites, but DNS resolution wouldn't work at all. Even telling the client to use an external DNS server didn't work. Torch reported sending DNS traffic out, but no received traffic. When I disable/enable hotspot interface, DNS traffic was both send and received, meaning no firewall rules, or anything interfering in my configuration.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:19 pm

My buddy has the same issue... DNS just stops working. He was sick and tired of disabling and reenabling the hotspot so we scheduled this to run every few mins and it seems to have fixed things:

/ip firewall nat remove [/ip firewall nat find chain="hotspot" dst-port="53" ]

Basically just removing the DNS redirect and letting DNS pass. Any reason thats a bad idea?

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:21 pm

I just did this one a router v4.7. I let DNS pass. It was probably brought down by a memory leak or the DNS process has crashed or something. That was a routerboard. I even got a supout this time :)

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:21 pm

Doug,

I had the exact same experience. Good to see I'm not going crazy (yet).
REEAAALLLLYYY! v3.31 not listed is interesting. Didn't know there was was such a critter.
Apparently 3.31 is exactly the same as 3.30 but with support for the RB750 (probably just additional drivers)

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:48 pm

My buddy has the same issue... DNS just stops working. He was sick and tired of disabling and reenabling the hotspot so we scheduled this to run every few mins and it seems to have fixed things:

/ip firewall nat remove [/ip firewall nat find chain="hotspot" dst-port="53" ]

Basically just removing the DNS redirect and letting DNS pass. Any reason thats a bad idea?
Not necessarily a bad idea, but hackish. I think it'd be nicer to just make use of the bypass rule just above that:
chain=hotspot action=jump jump-target=pre-hotspot
So just add an accept in that chain so that traffic never gets redirected:
/ip firewall nat add chain=pre-hotspot dst-port=53 action=accept protocol=53
Same effect, no reason to delete dynamically created rules and no need for a scheduled script.

Edit: whoops. Line to add didn't have a protocol and would have bombed.
Last edited by fewi on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:12 pm

So I think it's making more sense now.

I have a wired connection and don't notice any DNS problems at all, (only on Hotspot).
So it looks like a specific issue with the Hotspot DNS service (udp port 64872).

I added this rule:
/ip firewall nat add chain=pre-hotspot action=accept protocol=udp dst-port=53
I should know by tonight if this has an effect.

BTW, thank you to everyone who posted, I will be happy to see this resolved.

eltopia
just joined

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:22 pm

did you not see that we took off the v4.7 download as soon as we discovered a minor known bug? we don't have any other known bugs, except those that are reported after version build.
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38515 has been around for at least a few months, no updates on the 4.7 changelog either. When do you anticipate this bug being fixed?