OS 4.7 DHCP

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:04 pm

The DHCP server is not working on version 4.7 RB333

missinlnk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: OS 4.7 DHCP

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:12 pm

This happened to me as well on an x86 system. To fix, all I had to do was delete and re-add the dhcp server. This did not happen on our 532 board we first attempted the upgrade on.

pturkey
Topic Author

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:51 pm

I tried re-creating the server and it was still not working.
I had to install 5.0 beta.
DHCP work good on 4.6 and 5.0.

rodolfo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:55 pm

If you have a bridge:
- remove bridge
- readd bridge
- reassign ip address to the bridge
- recreate dhcp server

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:58 pm

confirmed by MT Staff, will wait for the fix =)

he1ium

Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:30 am

So if I have 300+ locations with this issue, will an upgrade to 4.8 (if we ever see it now that they yanked 4.7) fix this? Am I going to have to do this by hand?

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:45 am

the issue is confirmed only for v4.7 =)

liteforce

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:23 pm

DHCP wasn't even mentioned in the ChangeLog entry for 4.7.

So did MikroTik make changes which weren't mentioned in the ChangeLog or is this the knock-on effect of something else which was changed ?

... and exactly how much testing does a RouterOS release get before it is made available for public download ?

My biggest fear as someone who has invested in a significant amount of MikroTik-based infrastructure is that we roll out an updated version of RouterOS and something which isn't even mentioned in the ChangeLog is broken as in this instance; there is only so much we can test in a lab environment, after all!

normis: Would public read-only access to MikroTik's internal bugtracker be such a big problem ?

No-one needs to see source/patches or any internal communication between MikroTik staff but it would be nice to see if an issue which one of us is debugging has already been identified.

At the absolute worst case, wouldn't it be possible to create an additional ChangeLog that lists the internal MikroTik ticket numbers and a small one-liner detailing the issue which was fixed ?

Regards,
Terry Froy
Spilsby Internet Solutions

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:24 pm

normis: Would public read-only access to MikroTik's internal bugtracker be such a big problem ?

No-one needs to see source/patches or any internal communication between MikroTik staff but it would be nice to see if an issue which one of us is debugging has already been identified.

At the absolute worst case, wouldn't it be possible to create an additional ChangeLog that lists the internal MikroTik ticket numbers and a small one-liner detailing the issue which was fixed ?
I've been trying for some time now to get this as well. I don't think it's going to happen.
See posts here:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 15#p204215
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 93#p180793

I just upgraded to v4.7 and am having weird issues with Hotpsot as well. The clients just drop off, no warniing, no log or anything. After disable/enable Hotspot inerface, all is well again for some time.

Unfortunately, I don't see anything in the ChangeLog relating to these problems. I wonder what happened?

radioresearch

Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:53 am

This just never ends, does it?

I discovered this problem after I upgraded several models in the field. I have about 50 left where the package is just sitting in the files section waiting for reboot. I think it will stay there until this is resolved.

On an RB433 and an RB600A there were no problems. On the RB450G's it was hit or miss. On RB450G's that were just DHCP only, there were never any problems. On those RB450Gs that had hotspot, well, that's where the faeces hit the rotating oscillator.

Actually only two of the upgraded RB450Gs had the issue. On one, I rebooted and everything went back to normal. On the other, nothing worked, until finally I erased all the leases, diabled the DHCP server and re-enabled it. There has not been a problem with it since.

This is too weird and unpredictable. I cannot believe that such an integral part of the router was not thoroughly tested before this was released. I believe they fixed one thing that broke something else, but this should have been tested. releasing a package implies that it has been thoroughly tested and is not alpha or beta software.

RadioResearch

UPDATE 26 APRIL 2010

But wait, there's more!

On the units that decided to work, and on one of each model I tested in the lab, DNS/ARP fell apart. The first thing I noted was that I could no longer resolve names under 4.7. OK, not good, but not insurmountable. I then went to see the cache underr DNS, and there was no cache visible! No matter how many sites I went to, or attempted to resolve, there were never any entries in the DNS cache.

Befuddled and bewildered, I downgraded to v4.6. Lo and behold, suddenly I could again see all the entries in the DNS cache that were there before the upgrade as well as a few new ones. This was repeatable on all the units. This is not good.

@ those who have been saying that people need to watch the forums and look for errors and be cautious in their upgrades, I have to say nonsense! That turd won't flush. I have never had this problem with Cisco, Proxim, Airspan, Comtech, Dell, or a dozen or so more manufacturers whose names I could drop. If the software has not been thoroughly tested, it is not a release! It is Beta at best, or Alpha at the worst case. This is not a case of an odd use or configuration, but a case of fixing one thing that completely cocked up another in almost every configuration. I feel like I'm two steps away from an aneurism.

Don't get me wrong. I love Mikrotik's product and will continue to use it, but these software problems are simply inexcusable. Even the new Dude .npk package release isn't working and causes the CPU to run to 100% and not function. Guys, please. Don't do this to those of us who love your product and depend on you. Thoroughly test this stuff before you release it.
Last edited by radioresearch on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:08 am

We never assume that an MT release is stable and usable. We generally test for a month, watch the forum for issues, and then, if all is stable, we will migrate up. We have learned from a long string of releases that are not stable that it is up to the end user to make the decision of whether to migrate or not.

We always try to point out issues we see in any release and then wait for a stable fix.

Right now we are on 4.6 and find it to be pretty stable in most respects.

Download it, test it, watch it, and if after a month everything looks good, then migrate.

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:44 am

We never assume that an MT release is stable and usable. We generally test for a month, watch the forum for issues, and then, if all is stable, we will migrate up. We have learned from a long string of releases that are not stable that it is up to the end user to make the decision of whether to migrate or not.

We always try to point out issues we see in any release and then wait for a stable fix.

Right now we are on 4.6 and find it to be pretty stable in most respects.

Download it, test it, watch it, and if after a month everything looks good, then migrate.
This is true, unfortunately. I truly wish this was not the case though.

bax
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:22 pm

I just upgraded to v4.7 and am having weird issues with Hotpsot as well. The clients just drop off, no warniing, no log or anything. After disable/enable Hotspot inerface, all is well again for some time.

Unfortunately, I don't see anything in the ChangeLog relating to these problems. I wonder what happened?[/quote]

Ha ha :D same problems with hotspot on RB450 I also have (including DHCP server) and I dont see any errors (I must enable and disable hotspot every few hours) ... with dhcp it was stoped when I recreate dhcp ...
Hm will bee some fix in near future or must downgrade to 4.6?

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:16 pm

Ha ha :D same problems with hotspot on RB450 I also have (including DHCP server) and I dont see any errors (I must enable and disable hotspot every few hours) ... with dhcp it was stoped when I recreate dhcp ...
Hm will bee some fix in near future or must downgrade to 4.6?
Downgrading to v4.6 should fix the issue.

bax
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:30 pm

Yes I was downgrade , and funny thing which is left from v4.7 - now I have multi dns also in v4.6 :D