Community discussions

MikroTik App

Taisa
just joined
Topic Author

Some questions about RSTP

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:37 pm

My schema looks like this All interfaces are bridged
As uou can see my mt_6 has two links to mt_1. Of course if I turn two interfaces on mt_6 now, cause I don`t have rstp yet.
whole segment will fall in the loop. Besides mt_2, mt_4 and mt_3 should be connected with mt_5 (RB450G), so far the aren`t (loop)
Let`s sey, my prio link should be mt_6---mt_2---mt_1 and for mt_4---mt_5--mt_2--mt_1...if the mt_2 will faill mt_6 should activate
link by mt_3, and mt_4 should connect with mt_1 through mt_3 instead mt_2.
Actually I don`t know how to proper configure my RBs.
First - should I change parametr called path-cost? Or should I change just priority of selected port?
Does it value priority must be uniqe on whole network segment?
Could someone just give me an example configuration rstp on mt_1 and mt_2, mt_6?

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Some questions about RSTP

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi Taisa, your post is confusing.

What is your "end goal" ? e.g. what are you trying to achieve ?

Taisa
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:52 pm

I`d like to achive connection failover. I have two seperate radio links. I one of them will fail I want the other one to active.

kirshteins
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:30 pm

RSTP can provide you with loop-free topology and also make your redundant links to provide automatic backup, in case active link fails. You can use traffic-monitor tool to disable MT2 - MT6 and MT2 - MT5 links, if there is too much traffic going through MT2 and RSTP will change topology automatically.
First - should I change parametr called path-cost? Or should I change just priority of selected port?
You can use path-cost parameter to ensure that MT6 -> MT2 -> MT1 costs less than MT6 -> MT3 -> MT1, if you want traffic MT6 -> MT1 to go through MT2 instead of MT3.

More information:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Bridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanning_tree_protocol
http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/2. ... rafmon.php

Taisa
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:07 am

Thanks. I have another question. Let`s say that I have a few more mt connected with mt_6 by the switch (normal, without any backup links :-)) All of these mt are in the same subnet as mt placed on the schema before. Do I have to turn on rstp for the rest of them, or it will be enough as you said just for mt_1 to mt_6? Is it gonna work, I mean no other mt will fall in loop or smth?