Community discussions

MikroTik App

ywis
just joined
Topic Author

hotspot: OS X browser image loading problem

Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:53 am

We have a small wireless network and at least some of the clients using OS X can't load certain pages properly when the hotspot is enabled (example: yahoo, youtube, myspace, etc.); PCs at the same location seem unaffected. Both Safari & Firefox are affected and probably Opera too though I believe a Vitural Machine on the affected computer running XP is not. Typically the text of the page will appear but some or all of the images will not; just an empty placeholder. I think there may also be a message advising to update flash or enable javascript, - neither of which help.
Checking the internet for a solution shows many postings of such problems for OS X though generally the situation described is where a client is connected directly to their ISP at home or work with an ADSL connection. There are various suggestions such as clearing the browser cache, turning off IPv6, a proxy problem, dns problem or dns relay, possibly limiting the number of connections.... I have not found any definitive explanation, different solutions seem to wrok in each case. I suspect that there is a common underlying configuration in OS X which is responsible though since PCs seem unaffected.

Here is a link describing in more detail the kind of problem I am getting: (Is it ok to post this link?)

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... ID=8632402

I wondered if anyone else had encountered such a problem since I am no expert and could easily have misconfigured something on the Mikrotik hotspot device. :shock:

Here is the situation:

Internet - Mikrotik running hotspot - Tranzeo AP ~ Tranzeo CPE with NAT - OS X

thanks for any suggestions.

ywis
just joined
Topic Author

Re: hotspot: OS X browser image loading problem

Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:53 am

Going through the process of submitting this question to the forum seems to have clarified my thinking and I believe I may have found the solution to the problem; I will have to do more testing to know for sure. :D

The client CPEs were set by default for DNS-relay. We don't have our own DNS server so the routerboard running the hotspot and acting as our gateway was also set as a DNS-relay. For whatever reason this combination was okay for the PCs but caused trouble with the Macs. At least one client had even have added an airport behind their CPE which was also set as a DNS-relay. I don't know enough to say in detail what the effect was of this cascading of DNS-relays but clearly the Macs didn't like it.

Anyway I hope this proves to be the solution and that perhaps this message saves someone else the time and frustration I experienced trying to determine what was happening.

thanks to all who had a look.

best regards, - manG

Puffie40
just joined

Re: hotspot: OS X browser image loading problem

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:02 am

So what needs to be done to fix that?