Community discussions

MikroTik App

wirelesswaves
Topic Author

moving from layer 2 to layer 3

Wed May 26, 2010 4:26 pm

I have a routing question

My network is all bridged layer 2.. Bad mistake!!

Now I want to route. But I do not want to travel to each client to make the changes!

My customers all have static addresses in their PC's and all point to the gateway.
The customers are spread amongst several AP's.

Bandwidth and QOS is being done at the gateway against the IP of the customer PC, it works like a charm.

The plan,

To seperate the customer's CPEs into blocks of IP's, each AP in its own range. I do not want to use a DHCP server!

On the client CPE, make the ether1 the same address as the former gateway. Their PC will then point directly at their CPE and the customers old IP address will still be in the same range!

Then give the wlan interface an IP address in a completely new range and match its range to a new IP address for the AP that is serving it.

Add src-nat to the clients CPE, remove the bridge/ports configuration.

Change the QOS address tables in the gateway router to reflect the new address of the CPE.

So that now the CPE itself is having bandwidth control rather than the client PC.

So far so good.

Now to advoid working throughout an entire night time until dawn breaks.

Is it possible to:

a: add new network addresses in one range to a wlan and again another address in seperate range to the ether of 2 interfaces that are bridged already and that already have another network range assigned to it.

another words, the network is at layer 2 all bridged, would adding seperate addresses to these bridged interfaces (eth1 and wlan1), disturb the workings of the rest of the network.

It would have been nice to have the backbone all routed and to be able to do the customers 1 by 1.

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: moving from layer 2 to layer 3

Thu May 27, 2010 4:02 pm

have you considered implementing PPPoE, and OSPF?

it's a bit of initial setup work, but your life will be far far easier in the end.