Community discussions

MikroTik App

xhpohanka
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik RB750 as a VPN client for Linux server

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:44 pm

Hallo,
I'd like to connect my home network behind RB750 with a Linux server with an academic network of my university through vpn. I have succesfully configured OpenVPN connection but MT unfortunately lacks the support for the UDP variant and lzo compression. I made several tests and tcp version is about 2 times slower in my case (1MBps download from the server vs 2MBps). It's maybe caused by quiet assymetrical connection.

I'd like to try also another vpn possibilities (pptp, l2tp with ipsec), but unfortunately I have not found any usable example or description how to use MT with linux server in such case.

Could someone please give me any suggestions or examples how to configure theese types of VPN? Is there a chance that it will work faster than openvpn?

best regards Jan

bafh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Mikrotik RB750 as a VPN client for Linux server

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:29 pm

First ask the IT admin what are the "Linux servers" VPN parameters, if any.

xhpohanka
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:57 pm

First ask the IT admin what are the "Linux servers" VPN parameters, if any.
Ah, sorry. It is not clear from my previous post. I'm the 'admin' of the Linux server or I can install anything I want. I'd like to know which vpn solution will work with mt better than openvpn.

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:04 pm

L2TP/IPSEC isnt very goodin MT, PPTP would be fine, but it is low grade encryption. SSTP seems stable so far.

OpenVPN is the best, but has the worst support.