MikroTik App

bigguns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

how can I view a log at a given time?

Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:52 pm

Hi there,
I need to view logs at a given time but it seems that the logs only go back around 30 minutes.

Thank you.

kazanova

Re: how can I view a log at a given time?

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:48 pm

dwonload syslog

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:12 pm

You have a couple of options:

1.) Increase the number of log lines stored in memory up from the default of 100. Upon a reboot however this will wipe out the log completely
2.) Store some log options to the flash disk. You usually only want to do this for really critical messages as writing to the flash drive takes up space, granted not a lot, and uses up CPU cycles. This will also impact performance on the router some as well if you are writing a lot to the disk.
3.) Download and install a syslog server somewhere and point all of your logs on the Mikrotiks to that. There are several options out there, some free and some pay for, we use Splunk. They have a free version that works well, but you won't want it to be on a direct public IP for the free version because they do not have any user accounts so anyone would be able to log into your server and see what logs you are getting.

Most syslog servers will index information for you so you can search through your logs for specific things.

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi there,
I need to view logs at a given time but it seems that the logs only go back around 30 minutes.

Thank you.
you can increase number of lines retained by the system with memory-lines command:
/system logging action
set memory memory-lines=500 name=memory target=memory

bigguns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:42 am

Thanks for the input guys - I'll give syslog server ago I think would be best