Community discussions

MikroTik App

jbowsher
just joined
Topic Author

MAC auth with Radius

Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:06 pm

I am trying to do mac authentication with Vircom Radius and have the AP send over the client's wireless mac as the username and no password. The problem that I run into is when the CPE boots it starts the accounting request and completes that but it never sends an access request. If i make changes to the access list which i am not using for this but I know that it looks to the access list first then radius after i apply changes(disable a blank rule that i create) then it will send the access request but i still cannot get online or get an IP address. VOPtest which is Vircom's test software for Radius says that everything is good if i could just get the AP or CPE to send the access request to Radius. Any help is appreciated, Thanks. :?

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: MAC auth with Radius

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:09 am

I have never used Vircom, but have a system running with Mikrotik and FreeRadius, so Mikrotik+Radius certainly can work.

Please explain how you are authenticating the CPE.

Are you authenticating it when it associates with the AP, thru PPPoE etc, or is it HotSpot ?

One common pitfall is that you have not allowed the IP range of the network containing the access points to access the Radius server (clients.conf in Free Radius).

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:08 pm

I forgot to mention :-

Different Radius setups require the MAC to be passed as XX-YY-ZZ rather.. than XX:YY:ZZ..

Hopefully you have a debug output, log, or maybe an 'interactive' server option so you can see wtf happens when you try to authenticate.

jbowsher
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:35 pm

I have it working fine utilizing hotspot mac auth but the problem is people will get one address from the hotspot controller and then a different address from the dhcp server and then all the sudden the user gets the hotspot login page and we have to kick them from the hotspot hosts tab and then they get right on. I would love to drop hotspot and somehow do the mac auth based on the cpe mac address. Basically I would like a setup just like mikrotik does pppoe server with the profiles but for mac auth.

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:11 pm

Why not just make a Wireless security profile that authenticates the connectng MAC using Radius ?

The whole idea of hotspot is to redirect connecting users to a Pay Now page.

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:18 pm

OH !

I fogot to mention - have a look at your Idle Timeouts under both server and client profiles.

desertadmin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:30 am

Did you ever get this resolved? I use Vircom as well for RADIUS for dialup (yes dial up still exists in a our little town.) I have more wireless customers that I need to control better and I would love to implement Vircom with our wireless and then redirect to a pay now page if possible.

If you got it to work please explain your setup better to help the rest of us Vircom people out here. :)

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:54 am

How do your wireless customers connect? If you're doing Hotspots you can obviously do payment pages. You can also do payment reminders for PPP clients.

desertadmin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:46 am

I mean did you ever get Vircom Radius to work as the auth for your hotspot users or PPPOE or PPPOA customers. All hotspots do not require a Radius manager they can also be setup local to the hotspot. But we are using the RadiusManager3 at all sites this is handy. We have hard set usernames and passwords for techs and special guests on our Hotspots but we primarily use RadiusManager3. It is awesome!

But to get to my question. If jbowsher (or any other Vircom radius user ) would please reply with what he did to get it working that would really help me out. Thanks in advance.!

-Sincerely,
DesertAdmin