Community discussions

MikroTik App

KennyB
Topic Author

Board upgrade killed firewall filters

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:55 am

I am trying to upgrade an existing 532 board with a ethernet daughterboard to a 493 board. the 532 is running 2.9.51 and the 493 is running 4.11. I made a backup of the 532 and uploaded it to the 493. On reboot it appears that everything restored fine except that some of my firewall filters are now invalid. I have included both of them here. If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it.
Kenny
493 firewall filters.png
532 firewall filters.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Board upgrade killed firewall filters

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:00 am

Binary backups (/system backup) are NOT supported on anything but the very router you are saving and loading backups on. It may break things across versions even on the same router, and will definitely do so across different hardware:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Co ... escription
Description
The configuration backup can be used for backing up MikroTik RouterOS configuration to a binary file, which can be stored on the router or downloaded from it using FTP for future use. The configuration restore can be used for restoring the router's configuration, exactly as it was at the backup creation moment, from a backup file. The restoration procedure assumes the cofiguration is restored on the same router, where the backup file was originally created, so it will create partially broken configuration if the hardware has been changed.
You should use "/export" instead and tweak that as required (take out references to MAC addresses etc.). Your rules are probably invalid because they refer to interfaces that don't exist, but it's hard to tell from pictures. In general text configurations are better for the forum.
I'd do a NetInstall on the new router before importing a text configuration because it may carry bad configuration around after the binary import.