Community discussions

MikroTik App

FIPTech
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Router OS 4.10 silently discard broadcast addresses trafic

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:17 pm

I tried to send directed broadcast without success with Router OS 4.10. (for WOL use).

It seems that the directed broadcast packets are droped silently somewhere in forward, but i can't locate where in the firewall. I can see that the packet does arrive at the input interface with Torch, but it does not go to the destination network.

It seems that directed broadcast trafic is going to input chain instead of being forwarded to the destination interface.

I tried to add an IP helper adress through an ARP static entry without success. (network broadcast IP address set to mac broadcast address FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF).

Then i tried to create another IP helper address, but this time on a free IP of the destination network. I've created :

192.168.125.251 (/24) -> FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

This time, the directed broadcast was working as well as Wake on lan, but not on the normal destination address.

It would be nice if directed broadcast was working on its normal network broadcast address, like it is the case on most advanced routers.

Having a switch to enable it separately on each interface would be interesting as well.

I think that Directed broadcast was working with version 4.4. Is there a command line parameter to enable it on version 4.10 ?

Thanks for your help.