Community discussions

MikroTik App

Gradius
just joined
Topic Author

Virtual Lan

Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:43 pm

I have a "small" request. I need to set up Virtual Lans for some customers on my network. I am using MT 2.9 and such. I am using a 192.168.x.x number scheme for my customers which route to a public IP on the MT router and then to the internet. Some of our customers wish to have public IP addresses. I would like to keep their IPs on the 192.168.x.x scheme but still have a way for them to be public. I have heard that the way to do this is setting up a VLAN. How would I go about doing this using MT and is it easy?

Thanks!

andrewluck
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:59 pm

Not VLANs. This is done with Destination NAT.

You have a problem if you only have one external IP as each port can only be NATted to one destination server. e.g. One customer has a web server, you can forward port 80 to it. Once a second customer has a web server then it's not possible for the outside world to see it on port 80 as this is already given to the first one.

The solution to this is more public IP's on the external interface of your router which can be natted to individual customers.

Regards

Andrew