Community discussions

MikroTik App

TJT
just joined
Topic Author

Disable Hotspot accounting for some traffice

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:25 am

Hi,
After a long hiatus I have finally got back to getting my hotspot setup working, everything is working perfectly, including external authentication, all backing onto a custom radius server.

The only thing left is having the ability to not account for data between users and certain websites, I would like to have some external content un-metered for users.
I know that I am probably missing something but I have thus far been able to work out a way to bypass the Hotspot accounting, I was actually quite surprised that the walled garden did not allow for it. I guess I have been searching for the wrong thing as my searches have turned up nothing.

Any help would be much appreciated, this is the last thing that needs to be done before it can go live.

Thank you in advance,

TJT

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Disable Hotspot accounting for some traffice

Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:00 pm

That cannot be done.

TJT
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:18 am

Thanks for the reply, I could have rolled the system out without this but was not something that I wanted to do, but I did find a way around this:

Basically by using the IP Accounting functionality to keep track of users data transfer and a script that takes a snapshot via the API every X time period (10 seconds at the moment), using this to update a table in the database recording users access and total data transferred to any of the content on an unmetered list. This is then deducted from the total that is received by our Radius Server to work out if the user has gone over their quota.

This is not the most pleasant way of doing things but seems to work for what we want.

I don't know how hard it would be to implement but having functionality within the Walled Garden lists to mark sites as unmetered would be nice, this is where I would have thought it would be as at the moment as long as you are not authenticated any data too and from anything in the list is unmetered (unless im missing something and the hotspot remembers this for when you authenticate ).

TJT

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:42 pm

Glad you found a workaround that works for you. The walled garden is not going to work for that as is, I think. For example, walled garden IP level rules are inserted into the firewall filters in such a way that they are only evaluated for unauthenticates users.

TJT
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:24 pm

Ah that does make sense, but I am happy, the kludge is working so I can just finish off the user interface and roll it out.