Community discussions

MikroTik App

Solaris
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Winbox failed to connect if interface set into jumbo frames

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:09 pm

Don't know if this a bug in winbox or not but it failed to connect into router(rb1100) if mtu on client and gateway side set into 9000(jumbo frame),the interface i set into 1 gbps,
client
Idx     Met         MTU          State                Name
---  ----------  ----------  ------------  ---------------------------
  1          50  4294967295  connected     Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
 14          10        9000  connected     Local Area Connection
on gateway :
4 R ;;; House
name="house" type="ether" mtu=9000 l2mtu=9000
Winbox just say disconnected after login,nothing shown on the log at all,
you can reproduce this by set the interface MTU into 9000 and winbox cann't connect to gateway.

xxiii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Winbox failed to connect if interface set into jumbo fra

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:35 pm

Is there anything between your pc and the router that might be blocking ICMP? and/or not jumbo capable?

Assuming its not a bug, either the packets are being discarded by something that is not jumbo capable (or enabled for jumbo) and/or something has a lower MTU and its ICMP too large responses are not getting back to the router.

Also, not every jumbo is necessarily the same, for instance maybe the router can do 9000 jumbo frames, but the pc, or something in between can only do 8000, in which case you'll need to set your MTUs to the lowest common value.

In your case, I see you have matching MTUs, so is the client directly connected to the rb1100 with nothing in between (perhaps a switch)? You could try doing packet capture or torch to try to see where the problem is.

You might also want to look in device manager and see what the ethernet device itself says for MTU and jumbo, besides what windows is claiming.

Solaris
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Winbox failed to connect if interface set into jumbo fra

Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:46 am

Is there anything between your pc and the router that might be blocking ICMP? and/or not jumbo capable?

Assuming its not a bug, either the packets are being discarded by something that is not jumbo capable (or enabled for jumbo) and/or something has a lower MTU and its ICMP too large responses are not getting back to the router.

Also, not every jumbo is necessarily the same, for instance maybe the router can do 9000 jumbo frames, but the pc, or something in between can only do 8000, in which case you'll need to set your MTUs to the lowest common value.

In your case, I see you have matching MTUs, so is the client directly connected to the rb1100 with nothing in between (perhaps a switch)? You could try doing packet capture or torch to try to see where the problem is.

You might also want to look in device manager and see what the ethernet device itself says for MTU and jumbo, besides what windows is claiming.
Yes it connected directly into rb1100,here you can the adapter :

It claims as Gigabit Nic but i cann't found anywhere on advanced settings tab about jumbo frames,could be the large send(ipv4) settings?,it's already enabled,and the speed and duplex setting as you can see only max 100 mbps full duplex,it's seem my nic only Gigabit capable not full gigabit,i was tested the Nic to do a tx into a server in which connected to the router but different subnet,result :
$ iperf -s
------------------------------------------------------------
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 64.0 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[  4] local 192.168.99.14 port 5001 connected with 192.168.77.2 port 17087
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec    379 MBytes    317 Mbits/sec
but tx & rx sure do exceeding a 100mbps nic,at max i could get from 200mbps-350mbps,sample
$ iperf -c 192.168.77.2
------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to 192.168.77.2, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 64.0 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------
[  3] local 192.168.99.14 port 14349 connected with 19
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec    318 MBytes    267 Mbits/sec
the windows doesn't automatically set the nic mtu as 9000 but i was set it myself,strange thing i've get more 4-6% rx increase from the Wan interface,don't know much about networking but strange heheh.Btw my nic is builtin one from my notebook Acer 4740G i5.