Community discussions

MikroTik App

kazanova
Topic Author

routing

Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:01 pm

i want client to be abel to establish pppoe connect to pppoe server

inside RB i can establish a pppoe connect to pppoe server
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kazanova on Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: routing

Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:42 pm

kazanova
Topic Author

Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:02 pm

wiki page ????
what if i want eth2 10.10.10.1 can ping eth3 1.1.1.1

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:40 pm

I apparently have no idea what your original question is, or how your second post relates to it.

If the question is how a client behind a RouterBOARD can connect to a PPPoE server behind another port on that RouterBOARD, the answer is that as long as they have layer 2 connectivity it should just work. A PPPoE client sends out a layer 2 discovery message to determine the server and then negotiates the session from there. As long as client and server have layer 2 connectivity and nothing is blocking the discovery message the session should establish.

In your diagram it is unclear whether the lower router is a layer 2 bridge or a layer 3 router. The former would work, the latter would not. It is also unclear on what interface the PPPoE server is running, and why that router has an interface without an IP address and whether that interface is layer 2 or layer 3.

kazanova
Topic Author

Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:49 pm

what is layer 2 and 3 :S

or how your second post relates to it.
not related
In your diagram it is unclear whether the lower router is a layer 2 bridge or a layer 3 router.
there is no brigge
routing could be that what i look for
It is also unclear on what interface the PPPoE server is running,
eth0
, and why that router has an interface without an IP address and whether that interface is layer 2 or layer 3.
pppoe about layer 2 or 3 :S

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:36 pm

If you don't know what layer 2 and layer 3 are I am afraid I cannot help you until you've read a book about how networks work.
For a home user it running one simple router it would be OK not to know, but you usually ask about somewhat advanced scenarios that simply aren't possible to implement by yourself or even to explain to you right without basic background knowledge. If you cannot take an MTCNA class or something similar I would suggest books that prepare for a CCNA, even if you never take the exam. Those books also cover all the basics and non-proprietary network standards.

kazanova
Topic Author

Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:59 pm

thx for advice and i work on it

but that don't mean i don't have question to be answered