Community discussions

MikroTik App

ringersoll1869
just joined
Topic Author

VLAN Tagging and spanning

Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:27 am

Here's my situation. I have a ubiquiti nanostation with 2 wireless SSID trunking to a mikrotik 450G. I have one port on the mikrotik trunked with both vlans. Everything wirelessly works perfectly. I'd like to also have one of the VLANs span the bridge so I can have one wireless network and 3 wired ports on the same vlan. I have tried adding a switch rule to put the ports in VLAN 55 which is that vlan, but it is not working. I would expect to be able to plug in a wired device and receive a dhcp address from the pool i have configured on VLAN 55, but it's not working. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rick

ojsa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: VLAN Tagging and spanning

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:23 pm

Could be that i misunderstand now, but put both the selected ethernet port and the wireless in the same bridge (and the selected vlan).

I have also tried this switch furture, but without any good success so far.

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLAN Tagging and spanning

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:42 pm

The MikroTik is a router not a switch, therefore it cannot and does not handle VLANs like another layer2 device will. When you add in a VLAN it makes a virtual interface for that VLAN. As far as I'm aware the only way to do what you want to do is bridge the VLAN you want with the desired Ethernet ports. You also cannot bridge the VLANs with the Ethernet port they are on.