miastudio
just joined
Topic Author

Exclude hosts from using backup line

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi All,

I have the following setup
2 DSL unlimited lines - Mikrotik - LAN
I load-balance the unlimited connections.

I also have a limited backup line with a higher routing distance which automatically activates when both load-balanced DSL lines fail.

Inside the LAN I have a download station which should download only when the unlimited connections are working. In other words, when the limited backup line is active, connectivity should be denied to certain IPs.

I thought of adding a routing mark for all IPs except the filtered one. And then add that mark to the backup line routing rule.
However, that doesn't seem like a 'clean' solution to me.

Does anyone have another idea ?

Thanks
MiA

mihaimikrotik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Exclude hosts from using backup line

Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:06 pm

You need to set up a script which basicly works with the IP addresses and address lists. You deny the traffic you wish to the BACKUP list (which is active only if the backup line is online) and you allow the traffic to the MAINSTREAM list (which is active when you have both or one dsl unlimited line active).

You then set up a script which moves the IPs you are interested in from one list to the other depending on which lines are active (basicly you just switch address lists). You then set up a 5 second scheduler to run the script and you're done.