MikroTik App

nuskope
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

PPPOE - Customer upload speed issues

Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:18 am

We use a Mikrotik LNS (x86)

just updated firmware to 5.0rc4 (has not fixed issue)

we have about 400 users who PPPOE in via the Mikrotik LNS, using a separate radius server (freeradius with heavily customized dileupadmin interface) we are able to set the customers speeds using the Queues system.

For example an average customer may have a 12Mbit/1Mbit connection

The LNS has extensive Firewall/Ques/mangle rules to manage traffic.

Currently the issue is, customers get full download speed (12Mbit) but their upload can be as bad as 64k.
As soon as i give a FIXED IP, (bypass the LNS) the same customer may get 30Mbit download and 10Mbit upload... (therefore its not a wireless level issue)

if i connect the same customer again to a starOS board that uses its own independent PPPOE server, the customer gets 12Mbit/1Mbit (as intended)

Thus the issue is located to the Mikrotik LNS.

now, as step 1 i disabled all Firewall/Queue Tree/Mangle / even connection tracking... with no effect.

so my question returns to, what could be causing this issue of very poor upload speeds.
  • Our customers use UBNT-Airos units as CPE's we have several people on mikrotik CPE's experiencing the exact same issue so i don't think its in the CPE, although i have not ruled it out.

the CPU of the LNS sits at 11% and sometimes peaks to 22%

example Mikrotik-Rate-Limit : 1024k/10000k 4024k/12000k 512k/5000k 20/20 6

nuskope
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: PPPOE - Customer upload speed issues

Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:33 am

bump

foo
just joined

Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:15 pm

i have similar setup to you without the upload issue post your config maybe we can help you then seems a little strange

nuskope
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:26 pm

i have similar setup to you without the upload issue post your config maybe we can help you then seems a little strange
It ended up being a one way switching issue, traffic was fine one way but had RX mis matches.