Community discussions

MikroTik App

Bobacus
just joined
Topic Author

Routerboard 750 Static IP not working behind Cisco 2900-XL

Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:02 am

So I picked up a routerboard 750, and I've been having a very interesting issue with it. When I let it grab a DHCP address from my ISP (Cox Communications) I am able to ping out without dropping any packets, and have my connection work w/o any issues. Although when I switch it to a static IP address I am able to receive about 10 responses, and then the ping goes dead for a few minutes, 10 responses, and dead again.

Now for some background on this, I have a Cox Business connectin w/ 2 static IP's. I am running my modem into a second VLAN on my switch (Cisco 2900 XL, no tagging, just a seperate VLAN on the switch.) After the switch, I have it distributed between my Cisco Pix and the routerboard. I have ran this setup w/ several other devices w/o issue, so I'm just wondering why it is an issue and if anyone else here has ran across a similar problem.

Also, just an FYI, I'm starting to think it may be a compatibility issue, since I just read about a verizon customer who had to get verizon to lock his ONT to 100mb full duplex because of a compatibility issue. The only thing I'm truly wondering about is the intermittent ping that I get w/ a static IP behind the cisco switch.

Bobacus
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Routerboard 750 Static IP not working behind Cisco 2900-

Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:23 am

Well it turns out that the MikroTik seems to like dropping the ARP entry for my gateway at Cox, does anyone know why it might be doing this? For the time being, I have placed a static ARP entry, and that seems to have things more stable, I'm tempted to run a packet sniff to see what's going on when i get these drops.