Community discussions

MikroTik App

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Router board losing settings

Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:26 pm

This week I've had two interesting scenarios.

One a rb411 (4.10)somehow disabled its wireless card. I had to reprogram its frequency etc.

The other, five days later, a 433 (4.6) somehow lost its bridge and I had to set that back up.

Both systems are attached to a solar powered facility. Temp is about 20degrees F on any given day and colder at night. I am working on setting up a voltage monitoring email system as I'm suspecting that with the cold the battery voltage is dropping and causing improper shutdowns on these two radios. (I'm towing the line with the solar charging and not a lot of sun up here now. If I have a cloudy day I've had the bh drop at night) I can see from the log that there was an 'improper shutdown' although I'm not sure what a proper shutdown would be.

The health status gives voltage readings. Is there a way to have the unit safely power off at a certain voltage? But then how would I turn it back on?

I've been using a low voltage disconnect at the battery array to protect the batteries from draining too far but it is a 24volt array and I believe the RB will go down to about 9volts before turning off.

In essence has anyone experienced a similar issue of settings disappearing (possibly due to power drop)?

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Router board losing settings

Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Hi Jamesy! We run into each other a lot here!

I use solar chargers that have a Low Voltage Disconnect (LVD). That shuts off the load connector at about 10.5v, and turns on the load connector at 12.5v. That protects the router from low voltage, and a clean reboot when the battery reaches an adequate charge. This is what I use for a normal solar install:
http://www.solar-electric.com/ss-10l.html

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:53 pm

:) I'm using the same unit but the 24 volt version. It shuts off at 23.5 volts. (I wish it was more adjustable as 23.5 isn't tunable at all)

How long is your cable run?

I have two. One to the 433 is 200' and voltage there is two volts below what the batteries read. (cable loss)
The other is a 411 and is 100' on a separate cat five but it shows no loss.

The lvd is at the batteries so it will shut off at 23.5 which is 21.5 at the 433 which is certainly fine.

What I'm hearing is that as long as the voltage reaching the RB's doesn't go below 9volts or so (The point where the RB will shut down) I'm fine. If I hard shut down at 23.5 The RB is ok but if the RB has to initiate its own shutdown I run a risk.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:04 pm

Actually, the long runs may be saving you from an overvoltage. They shut down for that too. At least that is what I have heard. The solar charger above can be purchased for 24v systems. I use 12v and have not had a problem yet.

And most here on this forum think I am the luckiest man alive. Two years ago I posted a pic of one of my solar units. It is on the roof of a 20 story high-rise condo within 10 feet of a very busy lightning rod. Florida is the "Lightning Capital of the World". It is still there, same router, same radios. :D