Community discussions

MikroTik App

gsimpson
just joined
Topic Author

DHCP and MAC Filtering

Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:48 am

I am trying to figure out if I can use RouterOS on a RouterBoard RB750 to create up to four subnets and also act as a selective DHCP server.

I have a class of devices identified by a range of MAC address to which I want to serve DHCP addresses from local pools in the router by LAN interface, while all other DHCP requests are to be passed through the router to other DHCP servers on the WAN side of the router.

Using static MAC/IP assignments is not practical for the large scale and mobile environment I am creating. I want to specify a range (or use a bit mask) to identify a specific type of device by the first 3 bytes (OUI) of the 6 byte MAC address. Only these DHCP requests will be served, all others should be ignored. a viable option given the

I have seen that MAC filtering can be done with an open source solution such as opendhcp or even now within Windows Server, but I would prefer not to introduce another element in the network.

This requirement is not being driven by security concerns, rather a matter of scope and overall network architecture.

Thanks in advance

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: DHCP and MAC Filtering

Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:28 pm

you can filter out unnecessary requests via Bridge Filter, but you cannot select IP Pool based on MAC address pattern