Community discussions

MikroTik App

gcs
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Ethernet problems

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:54 pm

I wonder why most problems I have had with routerboards is Ethernet port related? I have new (2 months) RB433AH on a 190' tower that is working wirelessly but the ethernet port has stopped working. I have power cycled it several times but the ethernet won't work. I need it to work since it connects to another Rb433AH by Ethernet. I have 2 boxes on the tower.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this without climbing 190' and replacing the box?

HELP

david

gcs
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Ethernet problems

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:52 pm

the ethernet port is now working. I have not done anything since it quit. is there a command to see system uptime? I can see wireless users connect time but don't see anything for ethernet uptime.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:03 pm

gcs
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:47 pm

The ethernet port is down again. I am going out to the tower and power cycle the Rb433Ah. I hope it fixes it but don't have a lot of hope that it will.

gcs
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:01 pm

I Just got back from tower site. I power cycled and also left unpowered for a few minutes. The box powers up and the radio works but if the ethernet is down it can communicate with the other RB433AH in the other box on the tower.

I have had several problems with Microtik boards Ethernet ports. They don't seem to be very hardy. Does anyone know how to fix flaky ethernet ports?

Thanks

david

jager
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:06 pm

Do you have proper grounding on your tower?

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Do you maybe have environmental issues? As we all know, water always flows downhill except when it climbs straight up an ethernet cable.

BrinkNetworks
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:37 pm

I've seen most ethernet problems be resolved by doing a few things.

Use a cable that is sheilded and has a "Drain Wire". Wind blowing across the cabling on the tower will cause static electricity buildup and without drain wire it can damage the ethernet port. Note that the drain wire should only be grounded at one end.

In addtion to the drain wire - the gel filling prevents (though doesn't completely stop) moisture from flowing through the cable.

Do a google search for the following -

1000FT Cat5e Direct Burial & UV STP Shielded w/ Double Jacket Outdoor Bulk

If the problem is persistent you can try installing and ether surge device like this...

http://www.titanwirelessonline.com/PCB- ... isg-48.htm

I will say that the ether surge device can actually degrade the signal on the wire and make the link unstable over long runs...so be sure to throughly test it once you have it installed.

Finally, in addition to the POE runs that you have going to the base of the tower....you can run an additional line directly from one radio to the other for redundancy in case the first one dies. One way to configure the network redundancy is to create an EtherBridge on both radios that initially only includes the main port. If the main connection dies...you can Mac Telnet into the backup port from IP Neighbors (thank you Mikrotik!) remove the dead port from the bridge and add the backup port.

Hope that helps.

gcs
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:25 am

I want to thank everyone for there suggestions.
The tower is grounded. The other Rb433AH is on the tower and works fine. Both use direct burial Cat 5e but have no drain wire.

I will replace the failing RB433AH board this weekend.

I am thinking about drilling a small hole in both cases at the bottom and running a Ethernet cable between the RB433 boards and hook up to ethernet port2 or 3. I will still use port1 for POE and communication from my notebook to the boards from the ground.

Thanks

David

gcs
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:38 pm

we will replace the box on the tower with the Rb433AH tomorrow. I am also going to run a ethernet cable from Ethernet2 to hook up both Rb433AH to each other as a backup.

I am playing with it here in the shop. I can't figure out how to bridge the two RB on Ethernet2. The interface show it is connected and I have assigned 10.10.2.1 and 10.10.2.2 to the RB's on eth port 2. I can't ping the other rb unless the ethernet1 cable is connected to the switch. I am sure it is a route issue. on the first RB i have the static route 0.0.0.0/ set to the ipaddress of it feeder backhaul. it works fine. on the 2nd RB i have it's route set to the ip address of the ethernet1 and they talk fine. this is the way it has alway worked. I need help configuring the backup ethernet connection between the two enclosers on the tower.

Currently both ethernet1 cat5 cables run down the tower and plug into a switch so they can pass trafic between them.

m4rk0
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:29 am

Hello,

I have similar problem when it's strong wind on tower. I lose connection over ether port on few RBs, not on all...

cederom
just joined

Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:14 pm

The same here, on my brand new RB4011 after not full 24h all ethernet ports stopped working, they do not get back even after factory defaults reset.. simple home setup where TP-LINK router worked and still works fine when connected in place of MikroTik..

Looks like shitty manufacturing and faulty devices coming from a factory? :-(