Community discussions

MikroTik App

norenberg
Topic Author

Half-Bridge PPPOA under Mikrotik not working

Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:57 am

Hi.

I have a Netcomm NB6 setup as a PPPoA half-bridge. Here in NZ it's only PPPoA available. It works perfectly when connected straight to Windows XP via DHCP:
IP: 219.89.xxx.xxx
gateway: 219.89.xxx.254 (gateway on the same subnet).

However, when I set ROS to DHCP client, it picks up IP and gateway exactly as above but no communication at all.
I put its default route as distance 3.

I tried to setup gateway and IP manually, but no luck at all. The DHCP client is working, the IP assigned to the interface and the default route imported with the correct distance. The arp record for the default route exists, however it can’t be pinged. When arp-ping to the ADSL modem mac address it responds ok..

Any idea what could be? A bug?

Thank you

norenberg
Topic Author

Re: Half-Bridge PPPOA under Mikrotik not working

Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:43 pm

anyone has this problem?

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:58 am

Norenberg, I would highly recommended you scrap the idea of using DHCP Half-Bridge and get a modem capable of PPPoE --> PPPoA proxy such as the Draytek DV120, if you are a IT reseller these are available from SnapperNet quite cheaply, otherwise get one from Ascent.co.nz or some other online reseller.
These basically proxy PPPoE from the Mikrotik to PPPoA on the DSL interface, meaning you just create a PPPoE client on the Mikrotik and it "just works"

The reason DHCP Half-Bridge does not work very well with Linux based systems is that Telecom assign a default gateway that is not within the subnet of the IP allocated to you, Linux does not like this and so will either not install the gateway in the routing table or will not route to it.

norenberg
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:00 am

Norenberg, I would highly recommended you scrap the idea of using DHCP Half-Bridge and get a modem capable of PPPoE --> PPPoA proxy such as the Draytek DV120, if you are a IT reseller these are available from SnapperNet quite cheaply, otherwise get one from Ascent.co.nz or some other online reseller.
These basically proxy PPPoE from the Mikrotik to PPPoA on the DSL interface, meaning you just create a PPPoE client on the Mikrotik and it "just works"

The reason DHCP Half-Bridge does not work very well with Linux based systems is that Telecom assign a default gateway that is not within the subnet of the IP allocated to you, Linux does not like this and so will either not install the gateway in the routing table or will not route to it.
hi thanks for that information mate! good stuff!
Good we have this option, the weird thing though is that our current static IP from Telecom actually has the gateway on the same subnet. I can't understand why it's not working.

andrewluck
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:06 pm

I use a similar setup in the UK where again we have PPPoA only.

The router is a Solwise AR7 based device, reflashed with RouterTech firmware and setup as a bridge. I then run a PPPoE client on the Mikrotik with the ISP connection details.

Works just fine.

Andrew