Community discussions

MikroTik App

afzal5200
just joined
Topic Author

Bandwidth Shaping based on Vlan

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:00 am

Hi All,
Could anyone please help me out to configure the mikrotik board for shaping bandwidth based on Vlan. I mean can
group few ports on one vlan and few other ports on different vlan. Then Can I shape the bandwidth separately based on VLAN so that I can provide Layer 2 connectivity different clients with different Bandwidth. Your help would be much appreciate.

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Bandwidth Shaping based on Vlan

Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Yes, you can mark packets based off of in and out interfaces, if you wanted to group certain VLANs together I would use a Jump action in mangle to get them into a custom chain to cut down on rules depending on the number of VLANs you are looking to do this for. Also in queue trees you can set up different priorities based off of those marks, or a different QoS scheme altogether with using the parent interface as the VLAN. But it would be easier to set an overarching limit on the physical interface and then set up different limits based off of packet marks from there. How complex and fancy you want to get is up to you. Just remember the queues can only control traffic sent from the router, not what it gets, so LAN interface(s) will only affect download, and WAN interface(s) will only affect upload.

You can play with the Global-x interfaces as well, I just personally don't like to use them.