Community discussions

MikroTik App

laxmanstha
just joined
Topic Author

how to configure untagged vlan

Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:58 am

Hi i have configured a vlan 100 and bridged to ether3, but by default the vlan are tagged, how do i configure to get untagged vlan 100 that is bridged to ether3.

elgo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: how to configure untagged vlan

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:50 pm

At this very moment, I'm afraid you can't do that.
Look for other posts from Jeroen1000, he got interested in the vlan management issue on a routerboard for a moment now.
We are actually discussing this in another thread.

I invite you to read the wiki page dedicated to "switching feature". In routerOS 5.x, there may be a way (thanks to switch-cpu port being exposed), i'm not sure, I can't test it for now (I can't use v5.x for now, blocking bugs).

willy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Hello!

Some clarification
Mikrotik routeros mainly linux. Nothing more special in fundamentals. Linux layer2 networking code (bridge) get any packet come from an interface. If you want get "untagged" traffic from any physical interface you need to put the physical interface to the bridge. In this situation you can't separate the traffic from this physical interface directly. If you want to reach tagged traffic at same time, configure vlan interface on the bridge interface.
For example (in mikrotik terms):
If you wait untagged traffic from ether1 you need put ether1 to bridge to get bridge the untagged traffic.
If you wait tagged traffic from ether1 you need to specify a vlan interface on ether1 and get the traffic from this vlan interface and put vlan1 to bridge get bridge. If you put any other interface to this bridge all interfaces get untagged traffic from this tagged vlan. If you put ether1 (not the vlan interface) to the bridge any other interface on this bridge get tagged traffic, and you cannot reach this traffic with programs on this board, but you can bridge to another device. If you want bridge tagged traffic, and reach on this board you need to specify vlan interface on this bridge interface.
If you wait untagged and tagged traffic from a physical interface put the interface (ether1) to the bridge and if you want get tagged traffic put vlan interface on the bridge. and you reach untagged traffic directly from bridge and vlan tagged traffic from vlan interface which specified on the bridge.

laxmanstha
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:07 pm

Hello !,

Thanks for the reply.
What i understood from above is that;
To get untagged traffic from a physical interface, need to make a bridge to that interface(ether1)
To get tagged traffic from a physical interface, need to bridge a vlan to that interface(ether1)

My concern is to which vlan the traffic is untagged in the first case?? Is it the vr Default vlan??
Is there any way to get untagged traffic for vlan 100 for ether1 in my specific case??
If yes, please put comman for this specific case

willy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:08 am

Hello !,

Thanks for the reply.
What i understood from above is that;
To get untagged traffic from a physical interface, need to make a bridge to that interface(ether1)
To get tagged traffic from a physical interface, need to bridge a vlan to that interface(ether1)

My concern is to which vlan the traffic is untagged in the first case?? Is it the vr Default vlan??
Is there any way to get untagged traffic for vlan 100 for ether1 in my specific case??
If yes, please put comman for this specific case
You only get untagged incoming traffic from ether1 on ether1 if the device counterpart (switch?) sends wlan100 as untagged on port which you attached to ether1. In this case vlan100 a technical number..
In this situation you not need to specify on MT router anything. This is normal case.
Not able to specify one port member of two untagged vlan at once. A switch port can member of only one vlan in untagged mode, and many in tagged mode.
Please specify what device send vlan100 to MT and, how to configured, to answer your question.
Switch in mixed mode do the following: If you configure untagged vlan on the port and this port get ingress traffic without dot1q tag send traffic this incoming traffic to ports that member of this vlan(both untagged and tagged ports), The switch tag untagged traffic with configured untagged vlan id (if this is necessary) . You see:
if you get possibility to configure two untagged vlan a switch port at once the switch cannot decide if come untagged traffic how to forward it.
In egress way is simple if come traffic from vlan which configured untagged on this port remove the tag from it while this traffic leave this port.
(If you operate _only_ untagged traffic on switch tagging and remove tag not needed, in this case vlans only forward rules between ports. This mode called port based vlan sometimes )

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:55 am

In simple terms:
If in-interface is VLAN, then specific VLAN tag will be removed as soon as packet with this tag will enter the interface
If out-interface is VLAN, then specific VLAN tag will be added as soon as packet leaves router via this interface

So these 2 simple things together with bridging capabilities of VLAN interfaces allow you to reproduce any management switch functionality.

If you have problems, just make a nice diagram with your planed setup and your present configuration and then we can try to help you.

willy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:26 pm

In simple terms:
If in-interface is VLAN, then specific VLAN tag will be removed as soon as packet with this tag will enter the interface
If out-interface is VLAN, then specific VLAN tag will be added as soon as packet leaves router via this interface

So these 2 simple things together with bridging capabilities of VLAN interfaces allow you to reproduce any management switch functionality.

If you have problems, just make a nice diagram with your planed setup and your present configuration and then we can try to help you.
Yes is sorter. But missing an important information: if you put physical interface to bridge you cannot get any traffic from vlan interface on this physical port. (common mistake)