Community discussions

MikroTik App

janCZ11
just joined
Topic Author

Route all internet traffic through proxy server

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:56 pm

Hello,

just a quick question: can RouterOS make all internet traffic go through a proxy server? Something like Windows applications (like Proxifier) that force all applications to pass internet traffic via a proxy server.

I don't mean just port 80 traffic for web pages, but all traffic, mainly TCP streaming of video to my Sling Catcher, which would be connected to the routerboard running RouterOS.

I already tried with DD-WRT router but no luck.

Thank you very much

Jan

janCZ11
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Route all internet traffic through proxy server

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:57 am

Here is what I tried:

- set up Proxy on RouterOS on port 8000
- set up parent proxy (external proxy server)
- forward port 80 to 8000 (so that ROuterOS would act as transparent proxy for web traffic on port 80)

This worked for web traffic.

However, then I also forwarded port 5017 (port which I connect to on the source of the video streaming = Slingbox) to 8000. This didn't work.

In RoutetOS proxy stats I could see that HTTP 1.1 proxy connection was created (beteween my LAN client and the Slingbox on port 5017) but was stuck at "waiting" and the video stream never started.

I think it's because normal web pages are OK with HTTP 1.1 but for Slingbox video stream, I think I need HTTPS. Can RouterOS do that? Use transparent proxy for HTTPS connections (which is supported by the external proxy server).

Or is there any other way how to set up transparent proxy on RouterOS for HTTPS connection?

Please help

Thank you

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Route all internet traffic through proxy server

Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:13 pm

Using a transparent proxy in the MikroTik can only handle HTTP, nothing else. You can definately forward everything to an external proxy server with a simple NAT rule, but it's then up to that server to handle the requests properly and is completely out of the hands of the MikroTik.