Community discussions

MikroTik App

kobayashi
just joined
Topic Author

Basic Setup Query

Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:47 pm

I recently bought the RB1100 in order to make full use of my home cable connection which is 500 mbps synchronous cable internet. The consumer router supplied can't get anywhere close to this.

However, with professional level kit comes more advanced configuration - and I need to build up my knowledge on this as I'm currently out of my depth. I want to migrate from the consumer router to the RB1100 without any interruption. I've looked at the configuration options via the winbox interface and it's a bit overwhelming at first glance. I'd really appreciate it if someone could establish the very basic steps I need to take to get all networked devices flowing through this router - which in turn connects to the cable modem (Alcatel Lucent 3FE 60344 ABAD).

1. Would I be right in saying I need to establish a PPoE connection to the modem? What exactly do I have to do in order to configure this?

2. I have several networked devices that I need to establish static connections to. Is this as straightforward as it seems or anything else to watch out for?

3. I need to open certain ports to allow incoming traffic to these devices. What are the configuration steps to follow in doing this?

Any advice anyone can provide would be great.