Community discussions

MikroTik App

takoateli
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Queues without NAT?

Thu May 05, 2011 3:55 am

I have an existing system where I want to add an RB-750 to do bandwidth shaping and packet filtering, but it's not my system to run so I want to add the RB-750 in using the least disruptive manner. There's an existing cruddy Belkin (yuck) "router" which I want to leave being the gateway and doing the NAT, DHCP client on the WAN side, and DHCP server on the LAN side. The Belkin has the address of 192.168.0.2.

What I'd like to do is give the RB-750's ether1-gateway port 192.168.0.3 and the ether2-master port the address of 192.168.0.4 so it can be more or less transparent.

I'm assuming that I need to eliminate the masquerade rule and bridge ether1-gateway and ether2-master, and turn on use-ip-firewall. Is there anything else?

In that configuration will my traffic through the RB-750 use the forward chain? I'm assuming that still holds true.

Sorry, I have a lot of trouble understanding the packet flow charts.

I hope Fewi is reading this. : - )

Thanks in advance!
Greg

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Queues without NAT?

Thu May 05, 2011 4:15 am

Yup, you're spot on.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/TransparentTrafficShaper
That covers transparent queuing (though queue trees will, of course, allow more advanced scenarios). Packet filtering would indeed happen in the forward queue.

Lab it out first to make sure it works by building the same network on a bench, then introduce it into the production network.

takoateli
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2011 4:57 am

Yup, you're spot on.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/TransparentTrafficShaper
That covers transparent queuing (though queue trees will, of course, allow more advanced scenarios). Packet filtering would indeed happen in the forward queue.

Lab it out first to make sure it works by building the same network on a bench, then introduce it into the production network.
Fewi, thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

I also want to say thanks again for taking the time to explain the packet flow and chains. It's been such a help!

Greg

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 05, 2011 6:06 am

No worries!