Community discussions

MikroTik App

logiqit
just joined
Topic Author

Help for shared fiber setup

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi there,

I have a 100 Mbit/s fiber, that needs to be shared between 8 customers.

I have gotten a /25 (128 IP's) network on the fiber.
I will have to slash the /25 network into /29 bits, 1 for each customer, that is 8 IP's per customer.

I have a RouterBoard 493G with 9 gigabit ports.
I expect to use 1 port for the fiberconverter as the interface facing the internet, and 1 interface for each of the 8 customers.

Also I will have to bandwidth limit the ports to 10/10 Mbit/s and in 1 case to 30/30 Mbit/s, but that seems quite obvious looking at the port settings.

I presume I will need to do some VLAN'ing, but please help me to get started correctly with this setup, and please bear in mind that I am new to Mikrotik.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help for shared fiber setup

Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:24 pm

Do you have the /25 routed to you via a separate ISP uplink network (usually a /30)? If yes, that is trivial to do.
493Gs come with switch chips that bridge ports at wire speed. Turn that off by setting the master port of each interface to "none". Now you have 9 routed ports. Assign an IP in the respective /29s to each customer facing interface, and the ISP network to the 9th port. That's it.
To implement the rate limits you can make simple queues attached to the interfaces with the rate limits you require applied. Now traffic in and out of each routed customer interface is shaped.