RB433AH + XR2
and
RB433AH + XR2 ( 2 Cards )

cdemers
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Question about power supply?

Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:33 pm

One is 18 Volts and the other is 24Volts, as for which one to use, it depends on your load, if it is just a bare board and short cables it won't matter which one your using. But with longer POE cable runs it's better using the higher voltage due to loss. Also, if your using lots of cards use the higher voltage. Just make sure that the board your plugging into supports the voltage range.

jtroybailey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:07 pm

in my opinion always go with the biggest you can get, that way you have more head room and cleaner power as you aren't stressing the power supply

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:08 pm

One is 18 Volts and the other is 24Volts, as for which one to use, it depends on your load, if it is just a bare board and short cables it won't matter which one your using. But with longer POE cable runs it's better using the higher voltage due to loss. Also, if your using lots of cards use the higher voltage. Just make sure that the board your plugging into supports the voltage range.
That is not correct. Both power supplies are 24vdc.

The 18POW was 18vdc and 18 watts but then about two or three years ago when the RB400 series were released, the 18POW was quietly changed to 24vdc and 19 watts. MT kept the same part number so they "would _not_ confuse their customers".

18POW = 24vdc and 19 watts (wall wart type)
24HPOW = 24vdc and 38 watts (desktop type - removable power cord)

19 watts should be plenty of power for an RB433AH with one or two XR2 cards. I would move to the 38 watt supply for 3 or more high power radio cards.

Tom

MrIC
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:26 am

That is not correct. Both power supplies are 24vdc.

The 18POW was 18vdc and 18 watts but then about two or three years ago when the RB400 series were released, the 18POW was quietly changed to 24vdc and 19 watts. MT kept the same part number so they "would _not_ confuse their customers".

18POW = 24vdc and 19 watts (wall wart type)
24HPOW = 24vdc and 38 watts (desktop type - removable power cord)

19 watts should be plenty of power for an RB433AH with one or two XR2 cards. I would move to the 38 watt supply for 3 or more high power radio cards.

Tom
thank you Tom
i will use 18POW
thanks again