Community discussions

MikroTik App

NightShadow
Topic Author

Help Pleassssseeee Torrents P2p Bandwith

Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi i am buiding a wisp with ubiquiti gear and microtik router rb450g version 4.17 + winbox

Ok if i look into ip firewall connections i have 1 person downloading with bittorrent 27/7 slowing my line

Im new to mikrotik by the way

so i have been doing some reading and have a firewall to drop all p2p connections on his ip

also i have a queues on his ip to only let him have 64k download on p2p

and also i have it set up that if he searches for the word torrent it drops connection to show server not found

he is still connected in the firewall to bittorrent

So i tryed doing the same on my ip address that i have done to his.....just to test

results when i search for torrents i get server not found very good result...But if i goto hidemyass for example and use that to goto pirate bay i can get on the page and download any torrent that i want. So that doesnt help at all

so now with hidemyass i goto pirate bay download a movie start utorrent and start downloading it downloads at maximum speed

so the router does not seem to be blocking anything

Help please i only need 10 people downloading 24/7 and my line will come to a stand still
any help

And thanks in advance

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help Pleassssseeee Torrents P2p Bandwith

Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:00 pm

Search the forums. There are threads with hundreds of posts regarding P2P, covering the two major approaches to it.

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:52 pm

Yes indeed, there is a lot of stuff about P2P in the forum and the wiki too.
I like more this approach:

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Connection_Rate

CCDKP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:52 pm

Bittorrent traffic is not detected by the p2p filter.

There is a GREAT deal of information regarding detection and blocking of bittorrent traffic in this thread:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21178