Community discussions

MikroTik App

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Brain Transplants

Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:24 am

I had a power problem blow up a RouterBoard. I have an up-to-date save and an up-to-date export for the board, and have another arriving soon. (I am temporarily running on a slower model board.) My question is, how best to perform the "brain transplant" from the old board to the new one?

I have performed this sort of operation manually in the past to add new routers to my network (usually between different models of board) by hand-editing export files, and it's not trivial to get right.

At first, I thought, "no problem, I'll just restore the backup from the old board because it's exactly the same model," but then I remembered some of the problems I have run into on the other units and got worried. For instance, I actually ended up changing the MAC addresses on the ports of one router because I forgot to edit them out of the export file (I never imagined I could just say "set the MAC address to XYZ" and it would just do it!) My next thought was, is this going to screw up my license or my software ID? Then, "what else am I going to reset that I'm not considering?"

Surely other people have to duplicate or move configurations. How do other people do it?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Brain Transplants

Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:41 am

Sadly that's pretty much it - hand edit the file before importing into the other router.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:51 am

OK, then… two things I already know I have to edit out are MAC addresses and software/license information. Is there anything else I should be warned to watch out for?

Belyivulk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:05 am

anything interface specific :)