Community discussions

MikroTik App

Stenfrisk
just joined
Topic Author

cant get usb 3g modem to work

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:33 am

Well first sorry for my bad english and i am a newbie on mikrotik...

I have bought a mikrotik rb493g recently and i have it working with my cable broadband... Now i have invested in an 3g modem for a backup broadband.. I have the modem working in the router i can get it to connect and it shines blue as it is online. But i cant go out on the internet with it... the log says connected and so on the only "bad" thing i can see is cant determine remote adress... what do this mean???

I have done masquerade in nat and so on but i cant go out on internet... i really need help so if you tell me what you need i will print it here ore if you have any idea plz tell me really need help with this...

plz help

Stenfrisk
just joined
Topic Author

Re: cant get usb 3g modem to work

Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi guys i have solved this problem... got the 3g modem to work and got the eth1 to work with my cable modem... It seemed like my isp hade locked the mac adress of my latest router thats why my cable line didn´t work... But now i have another problem.... I have looked for a failover script on the wiki but cant find any that will work for me i think so know i need our help...

I have a 3g modem on port ppp-out1 (using dial on command)
I Have cable wan on port ether1

Ether one has a distance of 1 and the ppp-out has a distance of 2 in the /ip routes list.... If i pull out cabel on ether1 the ppp-out goes online... If i plug in my cable modem again it goes back to it but the 3g modem is still active....

So what im looking for is a script that pings like google.com and when it fails it turn off ether1 and starts ppp-out1 instead... And when the ether1 is up again it turns back in to ether1 and shutdowns/restart the ppp-out1.... Thats what im looking for.... Will be happy for help because im stuck at the moment....

Best Reegards....

Stenfrisk
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:55 pm

Hey guys got this to work as it should.... Also find a script that i think should work.... my only question is i have printed in the two last lines with comment 3g in to each script... could this work ???

script 1:

:local i 0; {:do {:set i ($i + 1)} while (($i < 5) && ([/ping 64.233.169.99 interval=3 count=1]=0))};
:if ($i=5 && [/ip route get [find comment="Default Route"] distance]=1) do={:log info "Main Gateway down";
/ip route set [find comment="Default Route"] distance=3}
/ip route set [find comment="3g"] disabled=no}
script 2:

:local i 0; {:do {:set i ($i + 1)} while (($i < 5) && ([/ping 64.233.169.99 interval=3 count=1]=1))};
:if ($i=5 && [/ip route get [find comment="Default Route"] distance]=3) do={:log info "Main Gateway up";
/ip route set [find comment="Default Route"] distance=1}
/ip route set [find comment="3g"] disabled=yes}

I want the 3g connection to disable itself after default route is active because i pay for the 3g connection each time it is used...

Stenfrisk
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:02 am

come on guys someone gotta know if this works or not ????

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:35 am

use netwatch...

have it watch the gateway.

Activate the 3g on fail...

Have it disable the 3G on gatewa back up...

Stenfrisk
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:13 am

thx for the answer i have never used this function before.... Can you plz do a step by step for this ???
And also what scripts im gonna use...

Stenfrisk
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:47 pm

anyone a step by step plz....