MikroTik App

variable
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

EoIP RSTP / Bonding

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:32 am

Hello all,

I am trying to do what I originally thought was a simple setup, but has quickly not become the case. We have a customer we want to ensure 100% uptime. They have a connection to our network and a connection to another ISPs network. On our network we gave them a static lease, on the other network they have a dynamic lease. We have one EoIP tunnel running to their ip on our network and originally tried doing PPTP with their dynamic ip.

I then put both interfaces into a Bridge and enabled RSTP. Massive broadcast storms ensued as loops were created. This being my first real experience with RSTP the only conclusion I could come to is that RSTP is not designed to handle multiple links between single switches/bridges.

So then I tried bonding them, but it appears that none of the failover methods work. Has anyone else here done this successfully or have any ideas?

Thanks!

Egate
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: EoIP RSTP / Bonding

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:51 pm

Create two default routes giving one a bigger distance and assign check gateway with check ping. This will route traffic through the route with lower distance and if it should fall over traffic wilt be routed out the second route.

variable
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: EoIP RSTP / Bonding

Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:25 am

We need layer 2 transparency. Simply routing out and NATing won't do it for us.