Community discussions

MikroTik App

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

PPPoE layer 2 issue

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:26 pm

I have a segment of the network that is bridged. The client devices are setup as basic routers with a wlan1 (WAN) and ether1 (LAN) interface.

The pppoe-out interface is set to wlan1. Wlan1 is setup in station mode and basic NAT config settings.

AP is setup as a straight bridge, ap-bridge mode, bridge-mode=enabled, and the AP interface and other necessary interfaces are added to the bridge.

For some reason the AP isn't learning all the connected MACs in the bridge table and thus those that aren't learned cannot pass traffic and cannot connect via PPPoE. Some can however, and those that can don't have any different configuration than those that can't it's very arbitrary.

This problem seems to be related to a recent upgrade to RouterOS v5.5 but I'm not 100% sure.

It's very odd.. I'm going to try downgrading to an earlier 5.x release to see if the problem goes away. Any comments, suggestions appreciated because I've tried most everything that makes logical sense.

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: PPPoE layer 2 issue

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:51 pm

To add some more information to this. When trying to MAC-PING the device from the AP yields nothing but timeouts with an occational reply.

Just downgraded to ROS 5.2 on the AP and now all the devices are showing in the bridge host table, and MAC-PING responds without drops. It looks like this may have resolved the issue.. I'm checking on a few other devices.

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: PPPoE layer 2 issue

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Downgrading seems to be the solution.. however it doesn't appear all 5.5 AP's are affected... I'm going to make some supout files and open a trouble ticket...

It looks like there is an issue with RSTP/Bridging and 5.5. I tried 5.6 as well but that exhibited the same symptoms.