Community discussions

MikroTik App

ahang
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Local sharing

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:31 pm

I need to setup local home sharing between mikrotik router clients with/without hotspot authorization ?
I'm talking about file sharing between computers who are connected to mikrotik router.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Local sharing

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:22 pm

Clients on the same network (the same broadcast domain) do not go through the router to pass traffic between each other. The router has nothing to do with this.

The only problem can be proxy ARP if you are using an address pool attached to the Hotspot (the Hotspot will ARP poison the network). To turn that off simply set the address pool on the Hotspot to 'none'.

ahang
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:45 pm

I set address pool to "None" but still no sharing, by the way I also want to do sharing between two ethers and both ethers have hotspot with two different IP addresses.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Open up the appropriate ports in the firewall. Between subnets won't work with 'browsing', as that's based on NetBIOS broadcasts that obviously can't go across layer 3 boundaries.

For same subnet situations, does it work by or name?

ahang
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:29 am

I am sorry I didn't understand, tell me the steps or explain it with more details.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:46 am

You first. You haven't even specified what 'file sharing' means to you. That could apply to any local network file storage protocol (SMB, NFS, CIFS, AFP, whatever), peer to peer traffic (bittorrent, dc++, whatever), or common file transfer protocols such as FTP, SCP, SFTP, or TFTP.

If you want detailed replies post your details first, including a correctly labeled and accurate network diagram, and the usual relevant configuration on all involved network equipment (IP addressing, routing, IP firewall, IP NAT, interface status, and Hotspot configuration). Then describe what traffic you're trying to get through, how you're testing, what you're expecting, and what you're observing instead.

I'm not typing up long posts based on wild guesses.

ahang
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:57 pm

You first. You haven't even specified what 'file sharing' means to you. That could apply to any local network file storage protocol (SMB, NFS, CIFS, AFP, whatever), peer to peer traffic (bittorrent, dc++, whatever), or common file transfer protocols such as FTP, SCP, SFTP, or TFTP.

If you want detailed replies post your details first, including a correctly labeled and accurate network diagram, and the usual relevant configuration on all involved network equipment (IP addressing, routing, IP firewall, IP NAT, interface status, and Hotspot configuration). Then describe what traffic you're trying to get through, how you're testing, what you're expecting, and what you're observing instead.

I'm not typing up long posts based on wild guesses.

Hey I am talking about sharing in general a normal sharing between two PCs, for example If I want to share a Folder or a File in my PC I want my partner see it in sharing documents and he can copy and paste what I shared to him, this is it, Normal wireless routers do this easy.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:44 pm

That's still not enough detail, if you want specific help, post SPECIFIC questions. But it's a start. Now at least we know what you mean when you say "file sharing".

Normal Windows file sharing via SMB/CIFS in a non-domain and non-WINS environment works based on broadcast NetBIOS packets. Broadcasts obviously cannot make it across layer 3 hops, by definition. Therefore you cannot browse for shared resources as they cannot be announced outside their broadcast domain. You can install a WINS server or a domain controller to work around this if you wish, or you can navigate to specific resources by IP address. SMB/CIFS relies on NetBIOS (ports 137-139 UDP/TCP), SMB/CIFS itself runs on TCP/445. Ensure traffic to and from those ports can pass through the firewall of all routers between the two networks.
Normal wireless routers do this easy.
So do RouterOS ones, obviously. You either have default forwarding off so that clients on the same AP can't talk to one another, or - as per your original description - you have layer 3 hops separating two networks and a firewall is blocking traffic. A 'normal wireless router' wouldn't be able to pass traffic between the two hosts under those conditions either. It makes very little sense to assume that there's something built in RouterOS APs that somehow blocks Windows file sharing. Windows file sharing is just IP traffic.

ahang
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:13 pm

:? OK we will go with the easy way I am talking about "common file transfer protocols such as FTP, SCP, SFTP, or TFTP" quoted from your post, how is that sounds to you ?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:22 pm

Now I'm confused. Your previous post today indicated you want Windows file sharing. But OK.

SCP/FTP/SFTP/TFTP are unicast protocols that simply require that all routers and firewalls between the two hosts involved do not drop packets to the relevant ports. SCP/SFTP run over tcp/22, FTP runs over tcp/21 with a dynamic data channel negotiated (simply allow the control connection on tcp/21 and permit packets with "connection-state=related" while having the FTP helper on under "/ip firewall service-port"), TFTP uses udp/69. You can always permit return packets by allowing the initial packet via protocol=tcp/udp and dst-port=22, and then permitting packets with connection-state=established. So here's a firewall rule set that permits SCP/FTP/SFTP/TFTP:
/ip firewall filter
add chain=forward connection-state=established action=accept
add chain=forward connection-state=related action=accept
add chain=forward connection-state=invalid action=accept
add chain=forward protocol=tcp dst-port=21,22 action=accept
add chain=forward protocol=udp dst-port=69 action=accept
Put that above whatever else you have going on in your firewall filters.

If you are talking about SMB/CIFS my earlier post from today applies.

When I asked about yet more details I meant that it's impossible to tell you WHY this isn't working for you unless you post a network diagram and the configuration of machines inbetween. Another reason beside firewall filters could simply be your NAT configuration, but it's impossible to tell without specific information about your network.

ahang
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:31 am

Yes and I am still need Windows file sharing, but I don't want to talk about it anymore because you confused and I confused, I was asking about Windows file sharing in the first place. I don't know you go so deeply about sharing and you explained pretty much I don't need all these, I just want Files and Printers sharing over the network, but thanks any way.

telstra

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:44 am

simply when ever u make the hotspot setup file sharing is just simple u can share your documents and printers but the problem is u have to log in hotspot 1st and your client also to share the documents and download them.
Suppose
you are sharing a printer or any document file with your client or to anyone on the local network
1st you have to log in the mikrotik hotspot internet and then share the folder or printer u want to share
and then tell your client to log in the hotspot 1st for the internet and then tell him ur ip address aur find ur pc from view workgroup computers in windows xp and then u can copy it and share it the data. but still u will get the one problem
and that is if you enable the Qos or make the hotspot user profile with the limit download speed such u limit ur client with the 128k up and 1024k down. so then he can upload and share his data but the speed limit will also work in hotspot. so be care full with the Qos.