Community discussions

MikroTik App

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Priority by TTL ?

Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:20 pm

What do you think of this idea to prioritise International traffic by separating queues by TTL ?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Priority by TTL ?

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Outbound the TTL would be the same since the client sending the packet isn't going to know how many hops there are going to be, and is just going to use its default value.

Inbound the TTL would be different, but what's the point of inbound prioritization, unless you mean within your network? It could also be faked easily, and you'd have to account for the different default TTL vales of different operating systems (all of 255, 128, and 64 are used as default values). It could also be unreliable - don't know how things are in your country, but I can transit as many hops going within the US as to Europe - across the Atlantic is one or two hops extra at most.

Just throwing wrenches out there since "that's a great idea" probably isn't helpful if you're looking for feedback.

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:59 pm

Got me thinking in the right directions.

I would be trying to achieve a way for International traffic to have have higher priority than local. The next way is to use massive address lists for the local traffic, generated from some "looking glass".

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:54 pm

BGP is more or less made for this. You can either tag routes by AS (which isn't that long a list), or even ask your ISP if they can give you communities so that routes come in already identified as being for a destination within your country or international.