MikroTik App

awacenter
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Identifying 'bridge port' in hotspot service

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi everybody,
It is long time I work with MT, but I have a question.
My case I have the folowing devices:
1) a CISCO Catalyst SWITCH
2) a MT with hotspot service connected to the CISCO switch.
3) TwoTP-LINK AP connected to the CISCO switch called AP1 and AP2

My MT has a wireless card, so I configured the hotspot service over a Bridge. The bridge put together my wlan and ether2 (conected to the CISCO switch).

My goal is identified the users conected to AP1 and the users conected to AP2. I would like to see the users in /ip hotspot host where I can see the 'bridge port' attribute for each user in WINBOX tool.

Is is possible?
I try to implement this with VLAN configured in CISCO switch and MT, but without success.

Regards,
Santiago

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Identifying 'bridge port' in hotspot service

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Clients connected to the Mikrotik AP should be showing a bridge port of 'wlan1', and clients connected to the other AP should be showing a bridge port of 'ether2'. That's according to the manual.

If that isn't working first upgrade to the latest rev (5.6) to make sure it's not a bug that's already fixed. If it's still not working after an upgrade open a bug report/ticket with support@mikrotik.com.

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:19 pm

Go into the bridge and enable "use ip firewall" in order for it to work and display the port.

awacenter
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:09 am

From the beggining I am using ros5.6.
I have spent almost a week with the tests and I have some conclusions. First of all, in my topology I create two ( or more) VLAN's over a ether2. Each VLAN has a tag (numeric value) that the CISCO switch and MT shared.
So the main problem is one VLAN can be in a bridge interface, but two is not posible (try to create 2 vlan and get into in a bridge).

So I cannot create a DHCP server in the bridge, I have to create a DHCP server for each VLAN.
In fact, I do not know if it is a MT big or a my mistake.

Do you think that hotspot server can work with a set of vlan? Another option is create a hotspot server per vlan.

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:49 pm

You can bridge as many VLANs together as you want. I do it for some of our networks without an issue. The only restrictions there are:
1.) You MUST set the horizon option for the bridge port to prevent loops and traffic not working properly.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:MP ... n_bridging
The horizon option means, any traffic coming in on this port cannot leave another port with the same horizon value.
2.) You cannot bridge a VLAN with the physical interface it was created on.