Community discussions

MikroTik App

aibatt
just joined
Topic Author

PPPoE - one user, few sessions, total rx/tx limit

Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:12 am

Hi, I am configuring PPPoE server and this is what I planned to do but it is time-consuming with setting new user and a little bit complicated and for sure not dynamical. This is my option B: Set pool for each user separatly, set PPPoE profile for each user separatly and choose in it correct pool. Finally create secret choosing correct profile and make static simple queue for address range from the pool. Achievement? One total Rx/Tx rate limit for all sessions that user establishes. I am looking for better solution to achieve this goal.

I would like to achieve something more ambitious and "cleaner". Addresses need to be configured automatically when user connects. Rx/Tx limit must be total for all sessions that user establishes - NOT separatly for each one. I set address pool and set it in PPPoE profile but every new session user gets separate simple queue.

Is it clear what I write?
Greetings and thank You!

aibatt
just joined
Topic Author

Re: PPPoE - one user, few sessions, total rx/tx limit

Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:26 am

I tried User Manager but there was the same problem - separate queues.
Is there possibility to make queue for address list?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PPPoE - one user, few sessions, total rx/tx limit

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:51 pm

http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/U ... xWindt.pdf

That's about Hotspots, but applies to what I'm talking about below.

The most scalable method is to use a RADIUS server to authenticate users, and send back the Mikrotik-Address-List RADIUS attribute. That puts the IP address of a user onto the named address list as he/she logs in, and removes it again when the account logs out. Send back the name of a tiered plan. Then assign packet marks based on the address list, and finally use queue trees with PCQ to assign rate limits to users. All users on the same plan get the same rate limits applied to the total sum of their one PPPoE connection.

If you really need a user to establish multiple PPPoE session (user logs in multiple types from multiple devices simultaneously) and rate limit across that you can technically do so, but will need to work a LOT. That would require you to manually create two mangle rules, a queue type, and two queue trees (upload and download) for every user you sign up. That simply doesn't scale, so I'd let that go and only allow each user to establish one PPPoE session.