Community discussions

MikroTik App

ZioN
just joined
Topic Author

Interference from hotspot on EoIP bridge via PPTP

Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi

I've recently setup a vpn between my to homes via the internet. The vpn uses a PPTP tunnel to connect both networks via the internet. Within that tunnel I use an EoIP tunnel to transparently bridge the two networks.

I used the following guides to establish this connection:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/EoIP
http://www.mikrotik.com/documentation/m ... /EoIP.html

Please refer to the network layout diagram bellow.

The PPTP connection seems to work correctly and the EoIP Tunnel as well. The only problem I have is that both networks run hotspots. This seems to interfere with my internet browsing and general internet connection of the nodes at both locations. It seems that if it try to access the internet on one of the nodes in network 1 (router 1) then it redirects me to the hotspot login page of network 2 (router 2).

The idea was to setup both networks on the same ip range but limit the addresses on both networks to specific ip's within this range, so to avoid duplicate ip's.

I first had a major issue with the dhcp-servers on both network. I didn't want to run one dhcp-server to serve both networks (in case the internet connection went down). I then found out that a bridge filter run could be applied to block off any dhcp requests from the one network to the other by dropping any requests through the eoip tunnel that use ports 67-68 of the udp protocol. That seemed to solve the problem of the dchp-server interference.

The two hotspot html login pages are on a different ip range then the local range of both networks. I then tried to block any requests through the EoIP tunnel to that (hotspot login page) ip range. After a while the it seemed I could access the internet via the network nodes while the pptp connection, eoip and bridge were enabled. I don't know if it was a result of this hotspot page ip blocking, because when I disabled this rule in the bridge filter, the internet still worked.

Furthermore, despite trying to transparently bridge these two networks, I cant seem to ping the nodes of network 2 from the nodes of network 1 and visa verse. I've tried multiple combinations of proxy-arp on the network interfaces of both bridges, but no success. I added walled-garden ip rules on both hotspot to allow any local traffic. This enabled me to ping router 2 from router 1 but I could still not ping nodes within network 2 from router 1. When trying to ping address 192.168.0.140 I get a response in winbox from 192.168.0.100 (local ip of router 2): host redirect.

I also can't seem to use winbox to connect to router 2 from network 1 (it is stuck at: retrieving preferences from 192.168.0.100). I can only use telnet. And it is unstable at best. It often disconnects. I have a feeling that my mtu and mru setting for all the interfaces are wrong. As I understand it the mtu of the outer tunnel (pptp) is to be the largest followed by the inner tunnel (eoip) smaller and the bridge the smallest. Is that correct? and if so, what are good values to use?

All that I would like this vpn to accomplish is the ability to see the network nodes on network 2 from the nodes on network 1, via windows' network discovery (ie not using the nodes' ip addresses in windows, but for windows to discover them automatically). But each network should still be served by its own dhcp-server and should still be governed by its own hotspot. Thus if the pptp link between them fail, they would still be able to operate as individual networks.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this. Even if it is just pointing me in the right direction.

The network layout is as follows:

Network 1 (Router 1):
[Jeandre@Jeandre] /interface> print
Flags: D - dynamic, X - disabled, R - running, S - slave 
 #     NAME                             TYPE               MTU L2MTU  MAX-L2MTU
 0  R  EtherNet_1_Main                  ether             1500  1526       1526
 5  R  UCom                             wlan              1500  2290
 8  R  JeandreCPT                       pptp-in           1600
 9  R  EoIP-JeandreCPT                  eoip-tunnel       1460 65535
10  R  ;;; Ethernet to EoIp bridge through PPTP to JeandreCPT
       Ethernet_EoIP_Bridge             bridge            1500  1526

[Jeandre@Router1] /interface bridge> print
Flags: X - disabled, R - running 
 0  R ;;; Ethernet to EoIp bridge through PPTP to JeandreCPT
      name="Ethernet_EoIP_Bridge" mtu=1500 l2mtu=1526 arp=proxy-arp 
      mac-address=00:0C:42:30:B4:98 protocol-mode=none priority=0x8000 
      auto-mac=no admin-mac=00:0C:42:30:B4:98 max-message-age=20s 
      forward-delay=15s transmit-hold-count=6 ageing-time=5m 

[Jeandre@Router1] /interface bridge port> print
Flags: X - disabled, I - inactive, D - dynamic 
 #    INTERFACE              BRIDGE              PRIORITY  PATH-COST    HORIZON
 0    EoIP-JeandreCPT        Ethernet_EoIP_Br...     0x80         10       none
 1    EtherNet_1_Main        Ethernet_EoIP_Br...     0x80         10       none

[Jeandre@Router1] /interface bridge filter> print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic 
 0   ;;; Drop DHCP Requests to JeandreCPT - Only Local DHCP server to serve STB Nodes
     chain=output out-interface=EoIP-JeandreCPT action=drop mac-protocol=ip 
     dst-port=67-68 ip-protocol=udp 

1   ;;; Drop Hotspot requests to Marshll-Network
     chain=output out-interface=EoIP-JeandreCPT action=drop mac-protocol=ip 
     dst-address=192.168.5.0/24 

[Jeandre@Router1] /interface eoip> print
 0  R name="EoIP-JeandreCPT" mtu=1460 l2mtu=65535 mac-address=00:00:5E:80:10:00 arp=enabled local-address=0.0.0.0 remote-address=192.168.2.50 
      tunnel-id=1234 

[Jeandre@Router1] /interface pptp-server> print
Flags: X - disabled, D - dynamic, R - running 
 #     NAME                            USER                MTU  CLIENT-ADDRESS                           UPTIME   ENCODING                          
 0   R JeandreCPT                      USER123             1600 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX                          5m48s    MPPE128 stateless                 

[Jeandre@Router1] /ppp secret> print
Flags: X - disabled 
 #   NAME                         SERVICE CALLER-ID                      PASSWORD                      PROFILE                      REMOTE-ADDRESS 
 0   USER123                      pptp                                   XXXX                          default-encryption           192.168.2.50   

[Jeandre@Router1] > ip dhcp-server print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid 
 #   NAME                                                                INTERFACE                                                              RELAY           ADDRESS-POOL                                                              LEASE-TIME ADD-ARP
 0   dhcp1                                                               Ethernet_EoIP_Bridge                                                                   Jeandre-Network                                                           3d         yes    

[Jeandre@Router1] > ip dhcp-server network print
 # ADDRESS            GATEWAY         DNS-SERVER      WINS-SERVER     DOMAIN                                                                                                                                                                                 
 1 192.168.0.0/24     192.168.0.1   

[Jeandre@Router1] /ip address> print
 #   ADDRESS            NETWORK         INTERFACE                                                                                                  
 0   192.168.0.1/24     192.168.0.0     Ethernet_EoIP_Bridge
 2   172.16.207.2/24    172.16.207.0    UCom                                                                                                                                                    
 5 D 192.168.2.10/32    192.168.2.50    JeandreCPT    

[Jeandre@Router1] /ip route> print
Flags: X - disabled, A - active, D - dynamic, C - connect, S - static, r - rip, b - bgp, o - ospf, m - mme, 
B - blackhole, U - unreachable, P - prohibit 
 #      DST-ADDRESS        PREF-SRC        GATEWAY            DISTANCE
 4 A S  ;;; Static default route via UCom
        0.0.0.0/0                          172.16.207.1              5
13 ADC  172.16.207.0/24    172.16.207.2    UCom                      0
14 ADC  192.168.0.0/24     192.168.0.1     Ethernet_EoIP_B...        0
16 ADC  192.168.2.50/32    192.168.2.10    JeandreCPT                0

[Jeandre@Router1] /ppp profile> print
Flags: * - default 
 0 * name="default" use-ipv6=yes use-mpls=default use-compression=default use-vj-compression=default use-encryption=default only-one=default 
     change-tcp-mss=yes 

1 * name="default-encryption" use-ipv6=yes use-mpls=default use-compression=default use-vj-compression=default use-encryption=yes only-one=default 
     change-tcp-mss=yes 

[Jeandre@Router1] > ip hotspot print                 
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, S - HTTPS 
 #   NAME            INTERFACE            ADDRESS-POOL            PROFILE            IDLE-TIMEOUT
 0   Jeandre-Hotspot Ethernet_EoIP_Bridge Jeandre-Network         hsprof1            10m 

[Jeandre@Router1] > ip hotspot profile print
 0 * name="default" hotspot-address=0.0.0.0 dns-name="" html-directory=hotspot rate-limit="" 
     http-proxy=0.0.0.0:0 smtp-server=0.0.0.0 login-by=cookie,http-chap http-cookie-lifetime=3d 
     split-user-domain=no use-radius=yes radius-accounting=yes radius-interim-update=received 
     nas-port-type=wireless-802.11 radius-default-domain="" radius-location-id="" 
     radius-location-name="" radius-mac-format=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX 

1   name="hsprof1" hotspot-address=192.168.5.1 dns-name="portal.jeandre_network.co.za" 
     html-directory=Final Hotspot rate-limit="" http-proxy=0.0.0.0:0 smtp-server=0.0.0.0 
     login-by=cookie,http-chap http-cookie-lifetime=3d split-user-domain=no use-radius=yes 
     radius-accounting=yes radius-interim-update=received nas-port-type=wireless-802.11 
     radius-default-domain="jeandre" radius-location-id="" radius-location-name="" 
     radius-mac-format=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX 

[Jeandre@Router1] > ip hotspot walled-garden ip print 
 #   SERVER        PROTOCOL   DST-HOST        DST-ADDRESS     DST-PORT   ACTION
 0   Jeandre-Ho...                            192.168.0.0/24             accept
 2                            www.google.com                             accept
 3                            www.google.c...                            accept
 5   Jeandre-Ho...                            192.168.2.0/24             accept

Network 2 (Router 2):
[Jeandre@Router2] /interface> print
Flags: D - dynamic, X - disabled, R - running, S - slave 
 #     NAME                                    TYPE               MTU L2MTU  MAX-L2MTU
 0     ;;; WiFi Network Interface
       Marshal_Network_Wifi                    wlan              1500  2290
 2  R  ;;; Lan Network Interface
       EtherNet_1                              ether             1500  1526
 3  R  ;;; Bridge Interface - To bridge lan and wifi to one network and ip range
       Ethernet_Wifi_EoIP_Bridge               bridge            1460  1526
 4  R  ;;; WAN Network Interface - Internet - Vodacom 3G via mini-pci-e 
       VodaCom_3G                              ppp-out           1500
 5  R  ;;; VPN#PPTP Client to Connect to STB - VPN to Jeandre
       JeandreSTB                              pptp-out          1600
 6  R  ;;; EoIP Tunnel through PPTP to Jeandre STB
       EoIP-JeandreSTB                         eoip-tunnel       1460 65535

[Jeandre@Router2] /interface bridge> print
 0  R ;;; Bridge Interface - To bridge lan and wifi to one network and ip range
      name="Ethernet_Wifi_EoIP_Bridge" mtu=1460 l2mtu=1526 arp=proxy-arp 
      mac-address=00:00:5E:80:00:01 protocol-mode=none priority=0x8000 auto-mac=yes 
      admin-mac=00:0C:42:49:04:6C max-message-age=20s forward-delay=15s 
      transmit-hold-count=6 ageing-time=5m 

[Jeandre@Router2] /interface bridge port> print
Flags: X - disabled, I - inactive, D - dynamic 
 #    INTERFACE                  BRIDGE                 PRIORITY  PATH-COST    HORIZON
 0    EtherNet_1                 Ethernet_Wifi_EoIP_...     0x80         10       none
 1 I  Marshal_Network_Wifi       Ethernet_Wifi_EoIP_...     0x80         10       none
 2    EoIP-JeandreSTB            Ethernet_Wifi_EoIP_...     0x80         10       none

[Jeandre@Router2] /interface bridge filter> print
 0   ;;; Drop all DHCP requeststo Jeandre-Network
     chain=output out-interface=EoIP-JeandreSTB action=drop mac-protocol=ip 
     dst-port=67-68 ip-protocol=udp 

1   ;;; Drop all Hotspot requests to Jeandre-Network
     chain=output out-interface=EoIP-JeandreSTB action=drop mac-protocol=ip 
     dst-address=192.168.5.0/24 

[Jeandre@Router2] /interface> eoip print
 0  R ;;; EoIP Tunnel through PPTP to Jeandre STB
      name="EoIP-JeandreSTB" mtu=1460 l2mtu=65535 mac-address=00:00:5E:80:00:01 
      arp=enabled local-address=0.0.0.0 remote-address=192.168.2.10 tunnel-id=1234

[Jeandre@Router2] /interface> pptp-client print
 0  R ;;; VPN#PPTP Client to Connect to STB - VPN to Jeandre
      name="JeandreSTB" max-mtu=1460 max-mru=1460 mrru=1600 connect-to=mydns.dyndns.org
      user="USER123" password="XXXX" profile=default-encryption 
      add-default-route=no dial-on-demand=no allow=pap,chap,mschap1,mschap2 

[Jeandre@Router2] /ip route> print
Flags: X - disabled, A - active, D - dynamic, C - connect, S - static, r - rip, b - bgp, o - ospf, m - mme, B - blackhole, U - unreachable, P - prohibit 
 #      DST-ADDRESS        PREF-SRC        GATEWAY            DISTANCE
 1 X S  0.0.0.0/0                          VodaCom_3G                1
 2 ADC  X.X.X.X/32             X.X.X.X     VodaCom_3G                0
 3 ADC  192.168.0.0/24     192.168.0.100   Ethernet_Wifi_E...        0
 4 ADC  192.168.2.10/32    192.168.2.50    JeandreSTB                0

[Jeandre@Router2] /ip> dhcp-server print
 #   NAME                                                                INTERFACE                                                              RELAY           ADDRESS-POOL                                                              LEASE-TIME ADD-ARP
 0   Marshall_Network_DHCP                                               Ethernet_Wifi_EoIP_Bridge                                                              Marshall_Network_Pool                                                     3d         yes    
[Jeandre@Router2] /ip dhcp-server network> print
 # ADDRESS            GATEWAY         DNS-SERVER      WINS-SERVER     DOMAIN                                                                                                                                                                                
 0 ;;; Network setup to allocate default gateway and dns server to clients
   192.168.0.0/24     192.168.0.100  

[Jeandre@Router2] /ip hotspot> print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, S - HTTPS 
 #   NAME                                                     INTERFACE                                                  ADDRESS-POOL                                                  PROFILE                                                  IDLE-TIMEOUT
 0   Marshall-Network HP                                      Ethernet_Wifi_EoIP_Bridge                                  Marshall_Network_Pool                                         Marshall-Network SP                                      none        

[Jeandre@Router2] /ip hotspot profile> print
 0 * name="Marshall-Network SP" hotspot-address=192.168.5.2 dns-name="hotspot.marshallnetwork" html-directory=hotspot rate-limit="" http-proxy=0.0.0.0:0 smtp-server=0.0.0.0 login-by=mac,http-chap mac-auth-password="" split-user-domain=no use-radius=no 

[Jeandre@Router2] /ip address> print
 #   ADDRESS            NETWORK         INTERFACE                                
 0   ;;; default configuration
     192.168.0.100/24   192.168.0.0     Ethernet_Wifi_EoIP_Bridge                                          
 2 D X.X.X.X/32     	X.X.X.X         VodaCom_3G                               
 3 D 192.168.2.50/32    192.168.2.10    JeandreSTB

[Jeandre@Router2] > ip hotspot walled-garden ip print
 #   SERVER                                        PROTOCOL   DST-HOST                                        DST-ADDRESS     DST-PORT   ACTION
 0   ;;; Access for users to access the internal network - Bypass usage counters
     Marshall-Network HP                                                                                      192.168.0.0/24             accept
 1   ;;; BYP-Access for users to accessSymantec Norton update server - Activated when 2GB limit reached
     Marshall-Network HP                                      liveupdate.symantec.com                                                    accept
 2   ;;; BYP-Access for users to access Symantec Norton update server - Activated when 2GB limit reached
     Marshall-Network HP                                      liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com                                          accept
 3   ;;; BYP-Access for users to access Mikrotik Wiki & Manuals - Activated when 2GB limit reached
     Marshall-Network HP                                      wiki.mikrotik.com                                                          accept
 4   ;;; Access for users to Jeandre-Network
     Marshall-Network HP                                                                                      192.168.2.0/24             accept 
Just for clarity, I have a script updating my dns domain name frequently on Router 1 and script that checks and resolves this dns domain name against the current 'connect-to' ip address of the pptp-client on Router 2. Thus ignore the mydns.dyndns.org connect-to parameter of router 2.

I would realy appreciate it if someone could perhaps help me out with this. I don't believe my mtu/mru setting and arp settings are correct. Could anyone please advise me on this.

Thanks so much.

Kind regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Interference from hotspot on EoIP bridge via PPTP

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:07 pm

That's an outstanding network diagram and problem description. Awesome. I wish everyone posted like that. Some of that doesn't make sense to me, though. Your default gateways on the LANs don't match the network IP space (in the diagram only, the CLI output sees to have it right), and neither does the Hotspot IP. The Hotspot should be running on the default gateway IP.

Your main problem is that the Hotspots are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing - they're redirecting all traffic on the broadcast domain to themselves. Your broadcast domain spans both locations. Running two Hotspots on the same broadcast domain is definitely not recommended.

Is there any chance of just turning off the Hotspots? That would of course immediately solve the problem.

Otherwise try setting the address-pool of the two Hotspots to 'none' instead of an existing pool. That should stop the Hotspots from ARP poisoning the network. That's a guess - I've never seen anyone put up two Hotspots on the same network.

Another way to work around this would be to install a WINS server at either location. That would allow you to register all your Windows machines to it, at which point they can see each other by name across layer 3 boundaries. At that point you no longer need to run EoIP to extend the broadcast domain.

ZioN
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Interference from hotspot on EoIP bridge via PPTP

Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi fewi

Thanks for the quick reply. I managed to get the bridge eoip vpn to work eventually. As I thought, it turned out my mtu settings were wrong. After playing around for some time, I managed to get the correct settings. They are now running at:

Internet interfaces (UCom & Vodacom_3G): mtu=1500
PPTP Client and Server: mtu=1400 & mru=1400
EoIP Tunnels: mtu=1400
Bridges: mtu=1500

After I did that I could use winbox again to connect to Router 2 from Network 1.
Otherwise try setting the address-pool of the two Hotspots to 'none' instead of an existing pool. That should stop the Hotspots from ARP poisoning the network. That's a guess - I've never seen anyone put up two Hotspots on the same network.
I did end up setting the address pool's of each hotspot to none. I also then had a look at the firewall nat table for the redirection rules of the hotspot. I thought that dropping any requests on those ports (used by the hotspot for redirection) across the eoip tunnel would perhaps solve the problem.

Bridge filter rules:
 [Jeandre@Router1] /interface bridge filter> print
0   ;;; Drop DHCP Requests to JeandreCPT - Only Local DHCP server to serve STB Nodes
     chain=output out-interface=EoIP-JeandreCPT action=drop mac-protocol=ip dst-port=67-68 ip-protocol=udp 

1   ;;; Drop Hotspot requests to Marshll-Network - tcp ports
     chain=output out-interface=EoIP-JeandreCPT action=drop mac-protocol=ip dst-port=53 ip-protocol=tcp 

2   ;;; Drop Hotspot requests to Marshll-Network - tcp ports
     chain=output out-interface=EoIP-JeandreCPT action=drop mac-protocol=ip dst-port=3128 ip-protocol=tcp 

3   ;;; Drop Hotspot requests to Marshll-Network - tcp ports
     chain=output out-interface=EoIP-JeandreCPT action=drop mac-protocol=ip dst-port=8080 ip-protocol=tcp 

4   ;;; Drop Hotspot requests to Marshll-Network - tcp ports
     chain=output out-interface=EoIP-JeandreCPT action=drop mac-protocol=ip dst-port=443 ip-protocol=tcp 

5   ;;; Drop Hotspot requests to Marshll-Network - udp ports
     chain=output out-interface=EoIP-JeandreCPT action=drop mac-protocol=ip dst-port=53 ip-protocol=udp 

6   ;;; Drop Hotspot requests to Marshll-Network - tcp ports
     chain=output out-interface=EoIP-JeandreCPT action=drop mac-protocol=ip dst-port=80 ip-protocol=tcp
The strange thing is when looking at their statistics, they don't seem to drop any packets.

I then also added some walled-garden rules so that each hotspot could allow traffic from the other network:
[Jeandre@Router1] > ip hotspot walled-garden ip print
 #   SERVER                                                      PROTOCOL   DST-HOST            SRC-ADDRESS                      DST-ADDRESS     DST-PORT   ACTION
 0   Jeandre-Hotspot                                                                                         192.168.0.0/24                   192.168.0.0/24             accept
 5   Jeandre-Hotspot                                                                                         192.168.0.0/16                    192.168.2.0/24             accept
Furthermore, I did a trace route to a couple of webpages, and the routing seemed fine. Network 1 followed through Router1 to the internet and visa verse.
However, When I disable those walled-garden rules, I get redirected every time to the hotspot login page of Network 2. I'm guessing that it because I have a bypass binding on the Hotspot governing Network 1 for my pc's mac-address. If that was not so, I should've been redirected to the Hotspot login page of Network 1.
Your default gateways on the LANs don't match the network IP space (in the diagram only, the CLI output sees to have it right), and neither does the Hotspot IP. The Hotspot should be running on the default gateway IP.
Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I was in a bit of a hurry when drawing up that diagram. Luckily the CLI is correct.
The reason the Hotspot ip is not that of the default gateway, is that it makes the usermanager login page inaccessible. I could give the hotspot login page an ip on the same network range as my network nodes, but I was trying that bridge filter in my earlier post and decided to place the hotspot's on another range.
Do you perhaps know how I could configure the usermanager so that the login page is on ip of my choice?
Another way to work around this would be to install a WINS server at either location. That would allow you to register all your Windows machines to it, at which point they can see each other by name across layer 3 boundaries. At that point you no longer need to run EoIP to extend the broadcast domain.
That sounds like a great idea. Makes life a lot easier when setting up vpn's to devices that don't support eoip. And one is still able to view network nodes using dynamic ip addresses with windows' network discovery.
Is there any way a WINS server could be implemented on a MT?

Thanks again for the help.

Kind regards