Community discussions

MikroTik App

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

PPP process using all available CPU

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:11 am

I have an RB450G, routeros-mipsbe-5.5.npk, which is going to be setup with one DHCP WAN interface and one PPPoE/via DSL WAN interface. It will also have an OVPN client to tunnel into their remote network.

Everything looked good. They were up and running on the DHCP WAN (ether1) and I had the DSL WAN (ether2) setup and logging into the ISP successfully.

I then added the OVPN client interface and made up a username and password for it, pretty much defaults except for the username and password. I don't remember if I had to choose IP vs Ethernet tunnel type. I chose IP if I had to choose something. I did not have the username and password configured on the server yet.

I later opened the settings dialog for the ovpn-client interface and tried to change the profile to default-encryption. Something happenned. Maybe I lost the network connection. Ever since then Winbox shows the interfaces and ppp windows with "Error: Timed out" .

Running /int print works, but is slow.

Running /ppp print works, but is slow.

/int ovpn-client print takes approximately 10 minutes.
> /interface ovpn-client> print
Flags: X - disabled, R - running 
 0    name="ovpn-out1" mac-address=02:17:F4:3C:6A:5E max-mtu=1500 connect-to=[server ip]
      port=1194 mode=ip user="[username]" password="[password]" profile=(unknown) 
      certificate=none auth=none cipher=none add-default-route=no 
action timed out - try again, if error continues contact MikroTik support and send a supout file (13)

/interface pppoe-client> print
Flags: X - disabled, R - running
 0    name="pppoe-out1" max-mtu=1480 max-mru=1480 mrru=disabled interface=ether2 user="[username]"
      password="[password]" profile=(unknown) service-name="" ac-name="" add-default-route=no dial-on-demand=no
      use-peer-dns=yes allow=pap,chap,mschap1,mschap2
/tools profile shows the ppp process chewing up 90 - 95% cpu. Basically whatever isn't needed for /tools profile and passing traffic out ether1.

I've been trying to delete the pppoe-client and ovpn-client interfaces to try to calm down the ppp process. Doesn't work. Just times out and tells me to send in the supout file. I did. Haven't heard back yet. [Ticket#2011082666000811]

I have upgraded it to routeros-mipsbe-5.6.npk with no change in behavior. I will try to go back to 4.17 after local business hours. /

Any ideas for how to recover the unit to a useful state without resetting the config completely?

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: PPP process using all available CPU

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:24 pm

I performed a "/system/reset-configuration" this morning to clear the ppp configuration. Now the cpu is 97% to 99% idle.

I have not attempted to setup the ovpn-client again, yet.

Also, I found a reply from MikroTik support in my mailbox this morning. Hopefully we'll get this figured out soon.

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: PPP process using all available CPU

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:41 am

MikroTik support says they have been able to replicate the problem and will have it fixed in a future rev.